Introducing new cat to deaf resident cat

shatha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I supposed this is just another thread on introduction. I have done the research and aware of the method but my question is how do I know my resident is ready for the intro?

Pasha is almost 3, he's Turkish and deaf. I've had him for 6 months now and we are in a good place so I decided to add a new cat to play with him especially that I work late and he's home alone close to 10 hrs a day

The new cat is 1, he's shirazi and comes from a multiple cats home

My pasha was in his previous home introduced to a resident cat and it didn't go well at all. And so the parent had to give him up but this time he's the resident so I'm hoping it's different for him.

I've done the sanctuary room, the scent swap and the room swap over the past 3 days now.

Now that the new cat has been out and seen the larger picture he's meowing from his sanctuary and sticking his paws through the small door opening.

My resident cat is camping by the door most of the time during the day in either Egyptian position or sitting tall on his legs and starring at the door.

how will i know when he is ready? He's always guarded even in his sleep he now has to always sleep facing the direction of the room. It's stressful for the 3 of us I'd say

The new cat opened the door yesterday and there was a short confrontation before I locked the door.

Has anyone advise what's my next best move? Continue swap and sanctuary??

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
You don't specify in your post, but if they had an unpleasant confrontation, I would continue the swap for a few more days at least. If the confrontation went alright - so if they ignored each other or at least didn't go at each other, I think you might be alright to try introductions. Three days is a pretty short time, though. Our last cat was separated from the rest for a good week and a half after his neuter.

If you can, sometimes putting a screen in the doorway and letting them meet with a see-through barrier will help, or putting the new cat in a large dog crate and bringing him into the main area to 'meet' the resident cat without them being able to physically get at one another.

I'm sure others will be along soon with more ideas, though. So far it sounds like you have things under control.

elsamarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shatha, how did you make out?  I am going thru the same situation but my resident cat is deaf.  Please let me know.  Thank you in advance.  I am a wrecked.