Introducing New Cat And Her Litter To My Aggressive Cat

Jessie118

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Long story short, i ended rescuing a mommy cat and her newborn babys. They are currently 4 days old and i have everything they need set up in the bathroom where momma can focus on her babys and not get overehelmed with the moving transition. Its been a couple of days and was hoping to allow her to venture out around the house..or atleast in my bedroom so she has more space and sunlight.
The only issue is my current cat (2 year old female) has a history of aggression. She bullied my moms older cat and refused to let her eat. Even scratched and bit and drew blood.(only a few times) Since weve moved and she became the only cat she calmed down a bit..however she still attacks us. If you move to close to her shell attack with full force, very very aggresively. We tried everything to correct this behavior but nothing has helped. Her outbursts arent as often so were commited on keeping her..
I was wondering what the best way to introduce the litter to her. Will she hurt them? Should i keep them separated until they learn to play? I need some tips ASAP! I feel bad keeping them locked up :(

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Thank you for rescuing the momma and her kittens. Whenever a new cat is brought into a home, they should be kept separate from the resident cat until the new cat has a vet checkup to ensure it isn't carrying any illness that the resident cat could catch. Then slow introductions can begin.

In the case of the momma cat and her kittens, do keep them completely separate from your female cat. Momma will generally be protective of her kittens, and she doesn't know your cat. And with your cat's history of aggression, she will probably not like having another cat in her home.

Do you plan to keep momma? And/or any of the kittens? If so, after the kittens are weaned and mamma spayed, then you could start introductions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jessie118

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply! I do plan to keep the mom and the kittens i will keep for atleast a few months. I have a few good people that i trust that are willing to take a kitten once theyre weaned/fixed. Once the kittens are old enough i plan to get mom and all kittens fixed. Glad to know im on the right track so far, and thanks for your advice!