Introducing New Cat (Abandoned) to Two Year Old Resident Cat

binky djanga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I'm brand new here and I'm really frightened of introducing my new stray cat, who knocked on my door, to my two year old tabby cat. I must bring the stray into my home, perminantly, tomorrow.
Thankfully, I have a cosy study that the stray can inhabit throughout the introduction phase. The tabby can have the rest of the flat.
I've been advised that I should anticipate this taking approximately a month, maybe longer.
In practical terms, the advice I'm going to act on (unless told otherwise here) is to keep my bedroom as resident cat's area, for the introduction phase, and keep the stray in the study. To put resident cat in the bedroom, for an hour a day, at first, while the stray explores the rest of the home and build on the time from there.
In addition to this, I will do the scent swapping with blankets. I've read that three times a day is advisable.
I have purchased two Feliway diffusers (one Feliway Friends, for multiple cats, for the sitting room and one regular one for the study). They are both plugged in and switched on now.
I purchased Calmex Cat to give to them both in their food for the first two weeks. Resident cat is not interested in her experimental evening meal this evening so I may not be able to rely on the Calmex as back up.
One other thing I thought made sense was to find a clear sheet material (like a glass door) to put over the doorway of the study before I allow them to be in each other's, physical, company with nothing between them.
I'm really frightened as I'll be doing this on my own. I know that my being frightened will be unhelpful as I need to be in control of the situation, for the sake of those kittys. They will outnumber me!! That's why I signed up to The Cat Site this evening. Strength in numbers, methinks!
There is a lot of conflicting information out there on this subject!!!
Forgive me, I realise that my situation is probably a common one and there'll be lists of posts attending to this very subject but I just don't have time to read and analise it!
Please help!
I've had many cats in my life but have never had to deal with a cat fight (yes, never!) or an introduction like this.
I will be so very thankful for any suggestions/support you can give.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

binky djanga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

binky djanga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, MargeCat.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.
Will follow the link now!
P.s. I'm not entirely sure that I've followed the correct procedure to reply!? Ha ha
Some great stuff there. Thank you. Have taken a pile of notes.
Will update with progress.
Nice one, MargeCat.

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dont be scared. You have effectively done everything yu possibly can. The only thing to do is be strong, alpha cat, and tell them they are going to live together and like it. Ive spent the better part of ten years rescueing cats and ive never had to use anything other then my presence, but honestly it would have been easier with a few gadgets lol. You'r very sweet and an awesome owner with your cats first on yur mind. You're doing everything right, except dont be nervous! As much as cats would like us to believe we are living in their house the reality is that they are living with you just be strong and incharge and they will fall in their places. Much love and respect

binky djanga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
W
Dont be scared. You have effectively done everything yu possibly can. The only thing to do is be strong, alpha cat, and tell them they are going to live together and like it. Ive spent the better part of ten years rescueing cats and ive never had to use anything other then my presence, but honestly it would have been easier with a few gadgets lol. You'r very sweet and an awesome owner with your cats first on yur mind. You're doing everything right, except dont be nervous! As much as cats would like us to believe we are living in their house the reality is that they are living with you just be strong and incharge and they will fall in their places. Much love and respect
Thank you, iwilltakethem!
What a lovely message.
I did chuckle when I read the "just be strong" part. I had an image flash through my mind of me locking myself in the bathroom and repeating that, out loud, to myself in the mirror while they're kicking off outside.
I promise, I won't do that!
You are awesome!!!
Thank you for being here now. I cannot express how much it means.
I'll do my very best. Support means everything. I will remember that they are taking their ques from me.
They are GORGEOUS, by the way. A little tiger and a little panther. I will think of you while I'm telling them that this will work and standing firm.
All the very best! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

binky djanga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, guys. I'm at a Christams bash and was going to collect stray later today.
I'm starting to think that I should wait until tomorrow morning to bring stray home as this may be a bit more challenging. A challenge that two glasses of red won't help.
My daughter, whose flat stray is currently at, has just text me this:
"Djanga was biting James and I in our sleep last night and making loads of noise running around. She's been acting fairly strange the last couple days to me honest. She was being attacky running round the whole flat yesterday evening too... I was moving stuff around though. I thought you might like to know all of this."
Please advise.
My thoughts are that Djanga is not getting enough attention/stimulation/positive interaction at my 19 year old daughter's house.
I cannot express how grateful I am that a forum such as this exists!
Thank you!

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cat was biting yur and her guy? It might be an attention thing. How long has the cat been in their place? It does take cats some time to figure everything out and playful nipping is something cats do to each other to express a desire to play or get some time of interaction. That could also explain the running around and going a little crazy, a need for an outlet. Thats a plausible explaination especially if the cat hasnt had a whole lot of interaction with people. As far as it being at night, cats are naturally more awake at night, so it makes sense for her to be overacting especially since its so quiet and theres basically no distractions. Like besides just that type of thing is the cat loving and everything else? Any other odd behaviors? It can be an easy behavior thing that needs corrected with a little effort and time.
But on the other hand has the cat been to the vet yet at all?

binky djanga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, iwilltakethem.
(long story short, I had to collect stray last night). Only one little hiss, outside the study door, from resident last night, by the way, which is a huge improvement on the night stray arrived in November!
Ha ha. Yes, James is the current bf who stays there relatively often.
Stray has been to the vet several times. She has an appointment tomorrow afternoon too.
Stray arrived on 7 November. While searching for the owner, the vet who checked her for a microchip said that she was pregnant. I'd asked her to check because lots of people were saying that she looked pregnant. I thought her size was due to her eating constantly when she arrived. She ate 5 and a half bowls of food and drank two bowls of cat milk within the first hour and then needed to have a bowl of food down constantly for the first week. A long, costly, unnecessary, process of having stray temporarily homed, to have kittens that didn't exist, ensued! (I forgot the importance of getting a second opinion!!). A week later, she went to the vet that resident cat is registered with, and the vet said that there were no kittens!
The last six weeks for stray have been between my daughter's flat and the home of the lady who thought she was hosting a pregnant cat! (I was the only person who was delighted by the news of no kittens!).
It's very difficult to work out what stray's personality is like because of all the upheaval and uncertainty for her.
She was definitely abandoned and was incredibly affectionate when she arrived. She doesn't want to snuggle any more. I'm in the study with her now and she's asleep on the floor in front of me. She would need to be on my lap in the first two weeks.
She went into heat at my friend's instead of having kittens! Ha ha.
So she moved back to my daughter's which is when she became very swipey and vicious. She hisses a lot.
She was neutered two weeks ago.
This recently reported behaviour is deeply concerning.
I'm wondering if she's feeling uncertain again and feels the need to be agreeable for survival again. I'm concerned that, as she settles again, her real personality of being rather vicious will reappear!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt that she is vicious at all. More likely stress from surgery and recovery is making it harder for her with all the upheaval as well. I would just take things slow and allow her to stay in the study for a while while she calms down and starts to feel a lot better about the situation. 

binky djanga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, New York 1303.
I do hope you're right.
It's been a real roller coaster for her. She's finally home now. So we'll see.
They seem OK with each other's scent already but slow is definitely the way to go. Especially after surgery too.
They'll both need to go into foster care for a month (maybe two) while I go into hospital, mid January (nothing worrying on my side). It would be good if they can go together! It's just such a shame that there is more upheaval ahead.
We just have to make the best of the situation. It's why I signed up to this site.
Need all the support these kitties can get between now and Feb/March.

binky djanga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, stray is repeatedly scratching at the study door. She's very noisy and, no doubt, upset.
It's 2:40am. This will be a long night. Neighbours will definitely complain.
Any suggestions, please??
Resident cat is still in the bedroom as stray had just had an hour in rest of flat. I feel I cannot let stray back out simply to stop her scratching and pulling at the bottom of the door the way that she is otherwise a precedent will be set.
She's had as much attention from me today as resident cat has.

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been off here for a little bit but your thread was one of the first I wanted to check when I finally got back.
So we got us a little preggers lol. Oh my goodness. So the definite plan is to keep little stray? And adopt kittens? Or if adopting kittens isn't something yu have time for then arrangements with a reputable shelter shuld be made as soon as possible for them to go get some forever homes. Most shelters are good about helping out with litters if a donation is made along with an intake fee. I personally like to adopt my litters out when I have them but sometimes its takes a while to get people interested.
A good thing for her to have is like a crate/cave type thing for her to start her nesting and getting comfortable in. That will make her happier and less crying and stressing should come with it. Very few requirements for it, just dark, warm, and soft. Do yu know about how far along she is?
Does she interact with your original cat? If so how is that going?

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kk the whole thing with her being in the study isn't a bad thing. Its actually better for her to be in a constant enviornment where she feels in control of everything. And you're completely right. Do not reward her bad behavior with attention. In my opinion she must have had some type of relationship with humans before because she is almost desperate to keep a constant connection. The only thing is recognizing when it goes from 'hey, hey I'm in here mommy', to 'I'm going to freak out if yu don't come see me'. We dont want to get to the latter. So instead of going in every time she's. Crying and stuff. Pick and choose your moments and try and establish like a calming noise or words. I've noticed a lot of cats like a sort of purring sound. Its almost like trilling yur R's but with no trill only air. I might not be explaining that the best way lol

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just noticed this but I meant adopting out the kittens, like to other people, obviously yu wuldnt be keeping them all yourself.

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ignore all my messages going from looking at this on my phone to my laptop there was a whole section of posts I didn't see.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not sure if there is a way I can take them down