Introducing Nala to Evan. (The Process)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! I just got back from a little 4 day vacation and had my brother (Who also lives in this house) stay in my room to make sure Nala was okay. I guess while I was gone Evan and Nala have been playing under the door together. Tomorrow I'm probably going to try the treat feeding and try to take the first steps to introducing them to each other.

Oh, I'm also schedualing Nala for the Vet. It seems like she is losing hair. I have no idea why and she is also itching herself a ton. It seems like she might have fleas. We'll see.

Chris

xris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it's been about 14 days since I got Nala. She is still confined to one room. The reasons are (1) Evan and her haven't really gotten a ton of time together to get to know each other. (2) She is in heat and I do NOT want to chance her running out the front door and getting pregnant.

Actually for the past couple of days Nala and Evan have been in the room playing while I supervise. The first day it seemed like Evan was actually more afraid of her then she was of him. She hissed at him a couple times but now it seems like they get along fine (I think anyway). They kind of look as though they are getting excited when they are near each other. They will kinda jump a bit and swat at each other.

I think this is actually working a ton better then I expected it. I didn't think Evan was going to like another cat in his home. But he is. I think for tonight I'm going to try to keep them together as long as possible.

Anyway, here is a picture of the two of them today. I didn't notice Nalas tongue until I put the picture on the computer. It's so cute!

Ha, Nala is already loud and it seems like they are playing a game of tag right now!

- Chris

hyacinthbucket

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That photo is a classic!

I'm so glad things are going so well for Nala and Evan. That is fantastic news!!

rushrulz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish you luck. I'm introducing a new kitty at the moment, and I think it's going downhill. Not that Mi-ke is upset exactly, but I made the foolish mistake of carrying Tora around so he could see the place, and now he keeps escaping his closet. Oddly, he heads straight for Mi-ke's untouched (and thus stale and congealed) canned cat food. He doesn't seem to care about her. Mi-ke just watches him; the worst she's done is raise her fur slightly when he charged at her dish. But she keeps giving me this look.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Chris! Glad things are going as well as they are between Nala and Evan!

I don't know if it's just the pic - but Nala looks like she does need to see the vet. Her hair looks very patchy - did you ever take her? If she does have fleas, Evan has them now.

Also, you may as well schedule the spay surgery and get it all done with at once. For her health and well-being, she really needs to be spayed.

IF she has fleas, you should NOT use a flea collar to address the situation, they can kill some cats. Your vet will have something for her and Evan (he'll need to be treated too) - but to get them out of your home, you can take those flea collars sold at the supermarket, cut them up, and put them in your vacuum cleaner bag - that will kill the fleas and the eggs. Vacuum at least once a day for several weeks. It's a lot of work, but it's the only way to safely get rid of fleas from carpeting and not risk poisoning or harm to your kitties.

The other thing is she could have allergies - and only a vet can determine this. If she were just losing hair, it could be stress - but combined with the itching, I think there's a medical problem if it isn't fleas.

Laurie

xris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Laurie. We actually have no carpet in our house so possibly just cleaning all of our sheets would work. The vet wants near 400 dollars to spay and give Nala her first shots. I really don't have the money right now but there is a clinic that comes around here that is going to do it for about $67 dollars. However, the appointment is May 3rd.

About her hair loss. She hasn't been shedding too much hair anymore and it seems like it is growing back in. I'm still going to take her to the vet I just have to wait about a week to get the money.

Thanks for your help!