Introducing my kitten to my dogs!

darcya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello there 

I have recently adopted a kitten, on saturday and I know it's still really early on, but one thing I am very concerned about is my dogs getting along with the cat.

My dogs are golden retrievers and they didn't seem aggresive at all when they saw her for a couple minutes.

However, the kitten got very nervous, was growling. Which is to be expected at first.

I'm dedicated to making it work and putting the time into it, to make it work. Right now the kitten is in my room and she has been there for about 2 and 1/2 days. She has only seen the dogs from about five feet away. 

Basically, does anyone have any advice/experience with introductions.

I want this to work out so BADLY! 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just take your time with the introductions. There are articles on-site about introducing dogs to cats, but they are written more from the point of training the dog not to chase the cat. If your dogs seem comfortable with your kitten, you are ahead of the game. Now you have to convince the kitten that those big monsters are not out to eat him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darcya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just take your time with the introductions. There are articles on-site about introducing dogs to cats, but they are written more from the point of training the dog not to chase the cat. If your dogs seem comfortable with your kitten, you are ahead of the game. Now you have to convince the kitten that those big monsters are not out to eat him.
Thanks, I did read some of those articles. Yes my dogs are pretty gentle (usually) unless they are being a little rowdy when they play, but that can be diverted if you just tell them no. The dogs seem to just be really curious, there hasn't been any barking or growling on their part, just looking sniffing and listening. They have been around cats before and have never chased or gotten into fights and whatnot, but they have never lived with one.
Check out this article:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-dogs

it may give you some ideas too
Thanks for the article it did give me some really good information, and I'm ready and excited to start putting it to use, when the kitty seems to feel more confident!