Introducing Lost Cat back to home, kitten, and NEW Cat help

daimere

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

Three or so months ago, my boyfriend's 11 year old cat, Cat, ran away. She was just getting used to our kitten and they(really, it was just her getting mad) weren't fighting as much. We assumed that if she didn't show up, she went off to die cause she was acting off right when the weather brightened up. We were going to wait a month or two but we couldn't due to our very, very social kitten, Morgyn, was going crazy. Within three weeks, we adopted a wonderful 1-2 year old snowshoe siamese, Artemis. It was shaky the first few days but after that, Artemis and Morgyn get along great. They lick each other, play, and sleep together. They are almost inseparable.

A few days ago, a woman called who said she found Cat. We confirmed and picked her up. Since Cat has gotten home, she has hidden under the bed and only coming out when no one (cat or human) bothers her to walk to the kitchen. Now, the last few times she has walked out, Artemis was near. Artemis seems to be guarding the kitchen and being very territorial. Her tail puffs up every time Cat and her meet. Cat and Artemis both hiss at each other until Cat gets upset and leaves.

The last interaction went like this:
I walked into the living room and Cat was sitting there. Morgyn was on the other side of the room playing. Artemis was in the kitchen. I stood still so she would pass. She goes around me after a few minutes and that's when the hissing/growling started to happen. Artemis' tail puffed. Cat tried to turn around but Morgyn wanted to investigate and was blocking her way. Eventually she jumped up on the chair to high tail it out of there. Artemis and Morgyn pursue the chase but stop at my room. At this point, Cat stops at the door frame, lifts her back leg and shakes it.

I'm afraid Artemis is getting territorial and will prevent her from going to the kitchen. Unfortunately, since Artemis and Morgyn are best buds, they seem to be ganging up on her when they stalk Cat in the bedroom. What can we do to help them get used to each other again? According to the people who found her, she's been living under a shed for months and would be fed leftovers from neighbors every now and again. She used to be fat and is sooooo skinny now. It's like she's 5 years younger! She wasn't eating dry food and wouldn't let them feed her that. I was hoping another cat would fare better for Cat since she got ticked with Morgyn wanting to play all the time and since Artemis does play with her, she won't bother Cat. Now, I never thought of Artemis as territorial since she always seemed so motherly to Morgyn. I made sure I clipped all the cats nails because Cat is declawed and I didn't want Artemis to hurt her.

I just don't know what to do. I really love all my cats and cried to hear that Cat was back. I don't want to give any of them up. I just want to know how I can help the process and if it will get better. Half the problem is Cat is the type of cat that makes people hate cats. She is grouchy, she'll rub up against you but if you pet her, she'll his. I think she barely started to like me when she left. She only really likes my boyfriend and used to come to him when he sang. Although we've tried that lately and she hasn't came.

Also, does anyone know why some cats meow loudly at night? Cat used to do this all the time and she was still doing it last night (it actually woke me up) and usually she never did it that late. Usually when we were going to bed.

Mini update: Cat tried to come out again and Morgyn had to investigate. I decided to lock the other cats in the other bedroom. Sure enough, she came out 10 minutes later. She ate, drank and pottied. She also walked around the living room investigating some of the new toys I got recently. After I let the cats out again, she tried to come out again but Morgyn spooked her again. I think we'll try this again later. They fought once or twice in the middle of the night. Although today, I saw Cat stand by the door for 5 minutes and there was no hissing/growling by either cats. They were holding their distance.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Artemis. Is she neutered? If not, do it unless you are planning to breed on her.

It seems Feliway diffuser should be tried here. Could help all three of the cats, but mostly Cat and Artemis.

Artemis block Cat to coming to kitchen. It is the food place?

Have then different food and litter places for them (ie 2 of each)

It is not unusual cats never gets pals, but can coexist in a home, having different places to eat and different litters.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daimere

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Artemis. Is she neutered? If not, do it unless you are planning to breed on her.

It seems Feliway diffuser should be tried here. Could help all three of the cats, but mostly Cat and Artemis.

Artemis block Cat to coming to kitchen. It is the food place?

Have then different food and litter places for them (ie 2 of each)

It is not unusual cats never gets pals, but can coexist in a home, having different places to eat and different litters.

Good luck!
I just ordered that diffuser from amazon. So much cheaper than petsmart!

All the cats are spayed. The kitchen is the food place. Even before she ran away, she was never pals with Morgyn. She tolerated her to the best of her ability like she tolerates me. :p

Over the last few hours, Cat has came out twice. Artemis and Cat will exchange hissing but Cat pushed through to the kitchen. Morgyn isn't that curious over her anymore and doesn't follow her. Cat ate and all that with Artemis staring at her from the door frame. The only negative tension was when Cat is walking back to her lair, Artemis is choosing this time to hiss/growl and chase her away. I think this is a vast improvement.

I'll be putting another litterbox and food in that room when I clean out a spot for it that's out of the way. Although the first time, I tried to distract Artemis and Morgyn away with the new laser pointer I bought. It's great to lead a cat out of a room.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All of them might benefit from going through introductions. Click on "I'd like to meet you-Introducing cats" http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22301

As mentioned, it's good to give Cat her own litterbox and food area on separate sides of the room where she is under the bed. Close the door so she can come out in peace. That way she can get her smell in the room. Her own scratching post will help.

You can take a clean wash cloth for each cat and rub the cat with the clean cloth. Place the cloth with Cat's scent on it under the others food bowl and Artemis and Morgyn's cloth under Cat's food bowl. This will help everyone get used to the others scent by associating each others scent with food (good things).

Go at whatever pace Cat feels comfortable not forcing anything. She is probably scared and needs time. So glad she was found.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daimere

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:
On Saturday, I cleaned up Cat's room a bit and before I got to prepare it, Artemis and Morgyn darted in there to sun (it's the best sunning room in the apartment). Evidently they don't like walking over my mess of clothes. :p I didn't hear any hissing from Cat under the bed. I'm sure she smelled and heard them. Cat came out frequently on Saturday. Even with Morgyn and Artemis in the room, she'd slowly walk out. It's only when she was going back in the room did Artemis and her get into hissing/growling fits. Sometimes she'd ignore her or walk to another room. She found satisfactry spots in my boyfriend's painting corner and on his side of the room in a corner. Today, she has pretty much stayed in the bedroom corner. Last night she let John pet/scratch her. She even let him pick her up! Today she let me scratch her without hissing. I even got some purring. Evidently, the only problem today has been when Cat was on the bed, Artemis didn't like it and was hissing. Which is really funny because before she ran away, she hated Morgyn on the bed. All cats have been in the bedroom and everything has been cool. I guess as long as they stay away from her, she is fine. Although I did put a Cat towel underneath the food dish and I don't think Artemis likes that. She was meowing like there was no food around. I don't know if they will ever be best buds but I hope they can at least not have fights.

Cat is sitting in John's lap now. ^_^ I think half the problem is where she is not used to being with people or being indoors. I'm sure under the bed seemed like the shed she was under for months. I really do believe that her hissing got even more forceful/mean.

Sad thing is John's nephew was depressed to hear she was back. He didn't like her because she always hissed and what not. Also, I'm thinking of getting my step father to build us some KatWallks for the cats. I think that would help things, too.