Introducing Kittens

chantellec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Last weekend I bought a kitten (now 12 weeks old) and am currently looking for another kitten of a similar age to hopefully get this weekend. I just wanted to check what peoples thoughts were on introducing a new kitten after a week or so?

I've had pet cats in my life for 18 years and having recently moved out of the family home, I thought I would get 2 new cats as my own.

My new kitten is really affectionate (when she's tired) and hasn't shown any signs of viciousness. She is just generally a big softy. Do you think she has been in my home for too long now to introduce a new kitten or might she be ok? Has anyone had any experience in a similar senario?

Thanks

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been bringing new cats into my household for the last 20 years. Your kitten will love to have a companion. Use this method to introduce the new kitten.  www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

I am fairly sure you know how to do this, just giving a review of the method. Quite a few of us here have multiple cat households. I have 5 ladies. Check out my profile pics and albums for how they get along. My avatar is 4 of them. One is 14, one is 7, and two are 3.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

chantellec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I have been bringing new cats into my household for the last 20 years. Your kitten will love to have a companion. Use this method to introduce the new kitten.  www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

I am fairly sure you know how to do this, just giving a review of the method. Quite a few of us here have multiple cat households. I have 5 ladies. Check out my profile pics and albums for how they get along. My avatar is 4 of them. One is 14, one is 7, and two are 3.
Thanks for the info. Your cats are very lovely :)

I have reserved a kitten who is not yet ready to leave the mother, as she's currently 6 weeks. This weekend however I have discovered that my kitten has come complete with fleas.The lady I bought her from on 4th October advised me she has been flead and that the 'dirt' in her fur was soot, as she had apparently been playing by the fireplace that day. I am due to collect the new kitten in 2-3 weeks time, I'm now concerned that she will also be affected by the fleas, even though my kitten is being treated and we will continue to clean the house regularly. Do you think it is wise to collect the new kitten, or should I leave her until the fleas have gone?

Thanks

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you are not getting the new kitten from the same person that lied to you about the first one. It would be better to wait until your flea problem is gone before you bring the new one in. It will also be better for the kitten to be with mama longer, as it will learn more 'cat manners' from her.

Be sure to check the new kitten thoroughly before you accept it. Comb its fur over a white sheet of paper. That will reveal flea dirt (feces) and any fleas that come off from the combing.