Introducing kittens?

robss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI!

I have a 4-5 month old kitten (recently neutered), who was taken from his litter/mother relatively early, so isn't very socially adapt (he plays very rough) I recently brought a second kitten into the home, she is maybe 2-3 months old. There's not a huge age difference, but a pretty big size difference between the two... I've kept them mostly in separate rooms since the second kitten came home (separate food/water bowls and litter box) but when I do let them into the same room, the older cat immediately pounces on the little kitten. It's in a playful way, not malicious, (he starts out by licking and cleaning her ears and head) and she tries to play back, she clearly wants to play, but he just gets rougher and rougher, until she is squealing like she's really in pain. 

Eventually, when the little one is clearly shaken up and trying to hide (eventually starts hissing), I separate them again, because it seems to scare her.

I'm looking for advice on how to continue from here, it's only been JUST under a week since I brought the little one home.. Will time help? 

I really want them to be best friends!!

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

robss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should also add that when they're in the separate rooms, they meow for eachother and stick their paws under the door. They clearly want eachother's attention, the older one is just simply too rough.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The problem is, and will be for a while, the size issue. She is always going to be the underdog, that is, until she is tougher at 4-5+ months, not to mention when she becomes sexually mature (hopefully spayed but the term means more mentally )

she is going to be the queen of the castle, it's just the way they are, and males submit to this well, as it is natural for the girls to be the boss :)

Honestly, I don't have a solution other than supervised playtime, which is no fun I know. 

At these ages their best bet is to be with another of the same age/development, so this doesn't happen.

Play wise, he is much more advanced than she is. But as time goes on their age difference won't be an issue. 

For now though, it's going to be difficult for sure. No getting around it really. 

One possibility is actually a third kitten, one who is also male, and who is at least the other males age/higher level of playtime to wear each other out and leave her alone, or at least not take all of his energy out on her.

Last edited: