Introducing foster cat and my cats

gussy14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

A foster cat dropped in my lap - she's literally been here for just a couple of hours. I'm not sure of her spay status (I would guess she is spayed), and my two boys are neutered. She is currently in a room by herself, and there is one of those draft stoppers in the door because the gap at the bottom is about an inch.(There is of course a tiiiiny opening that my cats have managed to look through.)

My somewhat more timid guy has had some hissing at the door and swatting at his brother. The more adventurous one has just defended himself against the swats. Both have been curious/alert/puffy and swishy tails at the door. So, nothing out of the ordinary, I guess. I was just hoping for a little less hissing. 

Any particular tips I should know? I've never done this before. Any particular signs I should look for that are worrisome? And what are the signs that they're ready to scent-swap, then finally meet face-to-face?

Oh, and she's overweight, not hugely overweight, but needs to lose a couple of pounds. I gave her a can of food (too much, I know, but it was such a stressful day!) and she immediately ran for it and started eating.

The group here is always so helpful, so thanks in advance for pointers.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A quarantine period of several weeks is standard with cats of an unknown origin, sometimes up to 12 weeks for those at risk of fiv/felv.  Also as just a foster there's no reason she needs to meet your cats at all, it can take months for adults to get along.