Introducing Betty White

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday: Clean breakfast plate.
Lunch: She skimmed the kibble layer off the top and then took a nap. But at least she ate when it was served. I got home from burger, beer, and groceries early. Betty was still burrowed and lunch was how she left it. "Well, we have an hour. And breakfast was cleaned so I'm not concerned." As I'm putting away the groceries, I see her emerge from her blanket nest and head towards the plate. Sssh! Be very quiet in the kitchen and let her eat as much as she wants without distracting her. She reduced the plate to half full. With the kibble, that's essentially a full meal.
Dinner: I got her shot in her and she pouted at me for a minute while I come back with her fountain treats. After the liquid dose, I bring her two kibbles and one Greenie and place them next to her fountain. I try to do this while she's watching. But even if she doesn't see me do it, I think she knows by now that fountain treats follow the foul. She acknowledges their presence. But she doesn't often eat the fountain treats until after the gabapentin kicks in. Last night she ate the fountain treats while I was washing up the syringes and then retired to her living room cave to wait for it to kick in. And kick in, it did. She came back and cleaned the plate in one go.
Overnight was a clean plate by midnight. She let me have a few hours of sleep before she was sleeping on my head at 3am. I heard a cough and I bolted up from a dead sleep. "Please don't Yaphit on my head, Betty!" (I had "The Orville", Seth McFarlane's Star Trek knock-off, going on the TV overnight and Yaphit is a gelationous blob character voiced by the late Norm Macdonald. Now that I think of it, that character kind of looks like a pile of cat puke.)
yaphit.jpg
Thankfully, she didn't bring anything up. Maybe she just inhaled some of my hair in her sleep.

Breakfast today: Cleaner than clean. Not just clean enough. But I could put that plate back into circulation without washing it. I wouldn't. And I didn't. But that was a nice thing to see. It's been a long time since I've seen a plate that clean. I have been trimming the mix only ever so slightly (from 16 grams of A/D to 15 grams in a 32 gram meal.) I will continue with a slow trim so that she can remain trim.

Three days of searching her poop for carpet fibers: Day 1 and Day 3 were clean as I was expecting them. Yesterday had a couple of fibers in it also like I was expecting. For now, I cut down the frayed part, picked up all the loose pieces, and sprinkled lemon juice over the area. I may look for an area rug or a mat or something else to cover up her carpet buffet. It wasn't as much carpet as I was fearing. But it was a thread or two of the stringy backing (what she seems to prefer) and a thread or two of the thicker carpet itself. Either one of those could cause irritation in its transit through her. Since day 1 and day 3 were clear, I don't think I need to keep up the poop inspection. It looks to me like she gets nausea-related pica. But it also doesn't seem like she's eating at the carpet on the regular. It could very well be that she was either nauseated, in pain, or both because I was late on her meds that morning. But it doesn't look like an ongoing problem judging by her clean plates since then.

Called in for another refill of the foul. Because our fowl-flavored samples haven't arrived yet. I can't actually see how much is left in this bottle. Small bottle. Dark bottle. Covered in labels. But they dispensed 15 mL and I've been giving 2 mL a day. I'm honestly not sure how I'm still pulling doses because that seems like it should have run out by now. Clean plates tell me I am.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a carpet destroyer/eater. I used an inexpensive plastic runner (the kind with gripper protrusions on the bottom) to cover the area of interest. You can cut it to size and the spikes on the bottom help to anchor it in place. You can even vacuum right over it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a carpet destroyer/eater. I used an inexpensive plastic runner (the kind with gripper protrusions on the bottom) to cover the area of interest. You can cut it to size and the spikes on the bottom help to anchor it in place. You can even vacuum right over it.
I went on to Amazon to look for options. I realized I already had options in the closet. I’m not doing squat with my YogiToes (yoga mat pads) since the pandemic. Since before the pandemic. And I have more than enough if I did want to take up yoga at home or in studio again. At one time I had a Core Power Yoga membership and a studio just down the street from the office. When Krista was struggling through her last year, I became more of a work from home cat dad and canceled the membership. Krista never let me do yoga at home. It always devolved into the cutest little wrestling match. I suspect I could actually fit in yoga sessions between Betty’s naps. Until she recognizes the yoga music or DVD and realizes floor time is daddy time like Krista did. 🤦🏼‍♂️😽🥰 But anyway. Back in the day, I had purchased several YogiToes so that I would have a clean one each session. Now they’re all huddling up with unused yoga mat and go bags in the closet (yoga clothes, towels, and a spare bag for sweaty dirties—I was pretty proud of myself for making these so I wouldn’t have an excuse not to go.)
DA6E060F-BF31-435D-8102-91EEBC1F9CF3.jpeg
540A56EA-F364-44D6-BA1D-2BCCD023993A.jpeg
I know she likes to sit near the deck door and watch the outside. I didn’t want to take that away from her with a plastic mat.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 "... Dinner: I got her shot in her and she pouted at me for a minute while I come back with her fountain treats. After the liquid dose, I bring her two kibbles and one Greenie and place them next to her fountain. I try to do this while she's watching. But even if she doesn't see me do it, I think she knows by now that fountain treats follow the foul." a/k/a Betty'sTaproom Treats! Yes?:crackup:
Twylasmom Twylasmom Good suggestion. I add, foil. You can pick it up, take it out, etc. Tape, double-sided or rolled on itself, to secure. Foil has so many uses! And I see in the time it took me to type this, that you came up with the best fix yet!
Betty's doing a GREAT job, isn't she? Please give her some extra SNORGLES from my purrman and me. She deserves them!
*Yeah. We don't want Yaphit! He's not invited!!!*:flail:🤢

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wiggly pig was a tough extraction from her cave this morning. Squirmy got a shot of foul across her mouth instead of in it. 🤦🏼‍♂️ “I hope you got enough medicine. If you need more, you can find it on your back.” 😿🤦🏼‍♂️ (I typed that whilst being vigorously and facially accosted by said wiggly pig who has already forgiven me. Onto third sleep we go, purring away, gently trying to snuff out my breath. 😽🤣 Hoping the nom goblin will wake before me and assure me that she has enough relief onboard.)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wiggly pig was a tough extraction from her cave this morning. Squirmy got a shot of foul across her mouth instead of in it. 🤦🏼‍♂️ “I hope you got enough medicine. If you need more, you can find it on your back.” 😿🤦🏼‍♂️ (I typed that whilst being vigorously and facially accosted by said wiggly pig who has already forgiven me. Onto third sleep we go, purring away, gently trying to snuff out my breath. 😽🤣 Hoping the nom goblin will wake before me and assure me that she has enough relief onboard.)
*Cats do that, you know. All the old wives say so.**They're wrong, of course*
Squirmel. Definitely a squirmel. Of the first order.🐿 *Sorry, but yes, we have no squirmel emoji*
Awwwww! Cats do THAT (quick and unequivocal forgiveness for egregious invasions of their PURRsons) too! :heartshape:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wiggly pig did a fantastic job on breakfast for a squirmy worm who wore at least as much medicine as she imbibed. She even woke before me to take her first pass on breakfast. By the time I switched out her plate for lunch, it was "clean enough". Those last six grams that she usually doesn't eat. But she also doesn't need to. I over-serve her because she routine under-eats. We meet in the middle for purrfection.
C8C531F7-42EB-4AF2-93DC-8F3D4815BF52.jpeg
No Yaphit sightings last night. Just a minimum amount of nocturnal shenanigans. After one of her second or third passes on the overnight plate, she wasn't sure whether she would re-enact the Taylor Swift photo (lay on my neck) or if she would sleep on my head. I redirected her to the pad and she decided she would aggressively curl into little spoon position. I may end up buying one of those spooning pillows with the space for the arm. Because she really likes to curl in tight. 😽🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wiggly pig did a fantastic job on breakfast for a squirmy worm who wore at least as much medicine as she imbibed. She even woke before me to take her first pass on breakfast. By the time I switched out her plate for lunch, it was "clean enough". Those last six grams that she usually doesn't eat. But she also doesn't need to. I over-serve her because she routine under-eats. We meet in the middle for purrfection.
View attachment 467612
No Yaphit sightings last night. Just a minimum amount of nocturnal shenanigans. After one of her second or third passes on the overnight plate, she wasn't sure whether she would re-enact the Taylor Swift photo (lay on my neck) or if she would sleep on my head. I redirected her to the pad and she decided she would aggressively curl into little spoon position. I may end up buying one of those spooning pillows with the space for the arm. Because she really likes to curl in tight. 😽🤦‍♂️
Yeah, but Yaphit is kinda cute, actually....She did great!
*I'd sell you my unused platinum kit cheap! You'll have to get the red lipstick, false eyelashes and all yourself, though*:flail:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is one of those days that I wish I had my own cat cave to curl up in for a few hours.

It was a bitterly cold morning and Betty took her breakfast treat, went into the office for her "taproom treats" (she didn't eat them after the morning foul), and then curled up next to the office radiator. She usually curls up with me while I cook breakfast. Since I had the few minutes before the microwave timer, I went over and curled up next to the living room radiator.

At lunch, I started the hot water bath for her food and she started reacting very timidly to me. I think she's associated the hot water bath with getting the foul even though two meals a day, she doesn't get it.😿 I guess I can't blame her as she doesn't carry a pocket watch. She's got a pouch. But no pockets. 😸

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is one of those days that I wish I had my own cat cave to curl up in for a few hours.

It was a bitterly cold morning and Betty took her breakfast treat, went into the office for her "taproom treats" (she didn't eat them after the morning foul), and then curled up next to the office radiator. She usually curls up with me while I cook breakfast. Since I had the few minutes before the microwave timer, I went over and curled up next to the living room radiator.

At lunch, I started the hot water bath for her food and she started reacting very timidly to me. I think she's associated the hot water bath with getting the foul even though two meals a day, she doesn't get it.😿 I guess I can't blame her as she doesn't carry a pocket watch. She's got a pouch. But no pockets. 😸
How about side pockets?:flail:
Yeah, it was bitterly cold! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRocious. Why don't you ask Betty if she can fit you in?:lol: I'm thinking about bringing in one or more of the many cat beds I've bought over the years. It got to the point where no one was using them. But Elvis might like the choice. My furnace is not working (future project, after several more important ones) so it's layering clothes and blankets here. Elvis is eating well, packing on the padding, I hope. He scared me yesterday! He came limping up and his left arm looked swollen. When I tried to inspect his arm and hand, he mewed plaintively at me as if it hurt. I thought to monitor it to see if a vet visit was indicated. Luckily, it was normal a couple of hours later, not painful and the swelling was gone. He was walking normally on it. Of course I want to know "why" but I won't. I'm just very grateful that he's okay!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh. The samples. The medi melts are maybe still lost between here and Philly. The chew treat and oil apparently delivered yesterday. But I never went out to the box. I just checked on them now. Why? Because wiggly pig wore her first dose this morning. Right down her neck. So then I had to pull a second dose and chase her down a second time this morning. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿

She also had a regurg pile right in front of her water fountain. Definitely regurg because I saw mostly undigested and even unchewed kibbles. Picked right up though. Changed out the pad underneath the fountain. And now we’re off to third sleep. Quick forgiver. 😽🥰

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh. The samples. The medi melts are maybe still lost between here and Philly. The chew treat and oil apparently delivered yesterday. But I never went out to the box. I just checked on them now. Why? Because wiggly pig wore her first dose this morning. Right down her neck. So then I had to pull a second dose and chase her down a second time this morning. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿

She also had a regurg pile right in front of her water fountain. Definitely regurg because I saw mostly undigested and even unchewed kibbles. Picked right up though. Changed out the pad underneath the fountain. And now we’re off to third sleep. Quick forgiver. 😽🥰
May you both have had sweet dreams not involving syringes, puke, or chases.:lol:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
May you both have had sweet dreams not involving syringes, puke, or chases.:lol:
She woke up to spit on the yogi toes. When I finally got out of bed, there was nothing there but a wet spot. I think she just had a little acid. I thought maybe getting a couple kibbles in her might jumpstart her appetite. She ate them. But she still has not visited her breakfast plate. Then a short time later, I hear that awful pained moaning from her. But all that came up was those few kibble pieces and some more liquid. Probably water and stomach acid. It occurred to me that if she does still need ondansetron, I had it in the shot she wore on her neck but not the follow up shot. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I’m going to give her tummy a couple more hours. And at lunch, I’ll try to get a couple hemp oil drops into her on treats or something. Dad takes CBD for nausea and appetite stimulation. Could and should work for Betty too. I’m thinking we’ll probably wait a day to try the treat sample. If she brings that back up, she may not want to try it again.

She’s riding it out right now in my lap. 😿
C2AE1AD0-4964-4B04-829B-58E127C1F454.jpeg B0397EA6-FFA6-445D-983A-4ABFBE1CB2DE.jpeg 61C61ECD-F3DA-4204-8FDA-F032A147D2A6.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to the cameras, I can see that Betty’s regurg was just before midnight last night.

Oh thank goodness! Betty has finally started in on breakfast. That means she will more than likely get the hemp drops I wanted to give her. Plus it would seem she’s finally feeling better. Hopefully this stays down. 🤞

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t tell from across the room if she got the hemp drops. But if she ate the kibble pieces on top (which she almost always does), then she got them. 😺👍 That looks pretty good for a kitty who was recently bringing back up her only kibbles (and possibly only food?) since midnight.
5AA1386C-6662-445E-B20B-B7BB51CDD44A.jpeg
While I have three cameras that can capture her food dish, none of them are set to automatically record and upload to the cloud like the Poop Cam and the Office cam (which records after hours including her zooms and regurgs.)

Assuming this stays down, and I’m not going anywhere for another hour or two anyway, that is a more than acceptable breakfast pass considering her spits last night and this morning. I’m feeling better about her day already. 😚😻

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t tell from across the room if she got the hemp drops. But if she ate the kibble pieces on top (which she almost always does), then she got them. 😺👍 That looks pretty good for a kitty who was recently bringing back up her only kibbles (and possibly only food?) since midnight.
View attachment 467916
While I have three cameras that can capture her food dish, none of them are set to automatically record and upload to the cloud like the Poop Cam and the Office cam (which records after hours including her zooms and regurgs.)

Assuming this stays down, and I’m not going anywhere for another hour or two anyway, that is a more than acceptable breakfast pass considering her spits last night and this morning. I’m feeling better about her day already. 😚😻
Hoping the good trend continues! and that you and Betty have plenty of warms. It's just gotten up to 60F here in la-la land with a high forecast of 62F. Opening the house now will "warm" it up a bit before the downtrend. That extra blanket I put on last night was Elvis-approved and we stayed nice and warm. Going to check his brunch bowl in hope it's similar to Betty's and will improve.
Hoping the hemp oil helps!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a bit more excitement yesterday. Apparently whatever was bothering her tummy earlier hadn’t quite finished with her. The little bit of lunch she ate she gave back in front of the fountain again. This looked less like a regurgitation and more like a genuine vomit. By dinner though, she had lost calories to make up. And that she did. She ate most of dinner in a single pass. And then nearly repeated the feat on the second dinner. By morning, that plate was clean. Breakfast has also been clean since 8am. Whatever yesterday was, she seems back on track again.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a bit more excitement yesterday. Apparently whatever was bothering her tummy earlier hadn’t quite finished with her. The little bit of lunch she ate she gave back in front of the fountain again. This looked less like a regurgitation and more like a genuine vomit. By dinner though, she had lost calories to make up. And that she did. She ate most of dinner in a single pass. And then nearly repeated the feat on the second dinner. By morning, that plate was clean. Breakfast has also been clean since 8am. Whatever yesterday was, she seems back on track again.
Second dinner. Is that anything like second breakfast? :lol: