Introducing A New Maine Coon Kitten To My Adopted Kitten

Suramyaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
I adopted a kitten (Theia) sometime back, and she is the most lovable, cute thing on the planet. Except, when it comes to other cats. So far, she's only interacted with another older male kitten (about 4 months older than her), and although he was so loving and willing to play with her, she stayed indifferent. Since then, now that she's got older and bigger, she hisses at him and doesn't like interacting with him at all. She grew up in a shelter, living with other cats and dogs, so she isn't scared of other animals.

HOWEVER, the one thing that worries me is that Theia is a little clingy. She loves our attention, never lets me work with sitting on my books/laptop/head. She's always next to me.

I'm bringing my new kitten in tomorrow, a female maine coon (11 weeks old), and I'm worried that Theia will be mean to her. Is this a valid worry? How should I deal with the problem, if it happens?

Maybe she is only indifferent to other animals when they're excited to play with her because she is used to being around them?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You will need to do a slow, patient introduction that might actually take weeks (sometimes months, but usually not quite so long with kittens). Here are a couple of links to guide you through the process:

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats

and just in case these issues come up,
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight (don't think so, but you have it)
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

Let me know how things go!

catman513

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Remember, cats are utterly territorial. If you give them each their own restricted space for a while things will be easier.