Introducing A New Kitten

ladybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. I just adopted another kitten and she is about 3-4 months old. My resident cat is about 8 months old. I made a mistake as putting the new kitten to the older one, the kitten was just curious about the room and didnt mind my cat but my older cat kept hissing and growling at her.She would even hiss when she smelled my hands after I petted the kitten. But she didnt chase or attack her. Now I keep them in seperate rooms. Today I put my resident cat in the new cats room after I took the kitten out. I tried to make her play and she kept playing after a bit hesitation and only growled shortly at the smell. Do you think that could be a progression? Would doing this help her get used to new kitten's smell? I really hope they can get used to each other and be friends.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it may start a little rough, but I'm not sure I've ever heard of a cat that young not becoming friends with a kitten. So it should be fine, regardless of what you do, you literally can't go wrong. Here is a guide for introductions, but again, I wouldn't worry about strictly following it. What they mainly need is time.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, hearing that really comforted me a bit. I worry that she wont ever get used to the kitten and I will have to get the kitten adopted. But hopefully that wont happen and they can be besties in time.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
My opinion is that the resident cat growling and hissing is res. cat being cautious encountering something new, sending a warning in case the kitten might pop out and be visible- and to me it's totally normal. Res. cat likely will get used to the new smell soon. And doing the introduction process should progress!

ladybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes she is. And no but I will get her spayed soon.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since she's 8 months old, she either has already had, or will soon have, her first heat. And she'll be antsy and itching to get outside. So be sure everyone in your household, or those who visit, are extremely careful that she doesn't get out the door. She also may be more open to befriending the new kitten, and less territorial, once she's spayed.

Please keep us posted on their progress. And do post pics of them if/when you can. :camera:

ladybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is definitely improvement and It's actually been only 5 days since the kitten came. She doesn't hiss anymore unless the kitten is right in front of her nose. They don't fight so I leave them in the same room even when I'm gone. They kind of just avoid each other and they're not playing together yet but I hope that will happen soon too.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hissing is just a cat's method of communicating, so nothing too serious. And no fighting is great. Sounds like they're making really good progress.