Introducing a new kitten to my resident cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ariagator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So things are progressing fairly well. I actually let Lulu stay out of her room last night. She's actively trying to destroy the carpet when I shut her in there and I live in an apartment so it's a bit of a problem haha. But honestly they aren't getting along, but they aren't fighting either. They're still testing each other, and last night there was a lot of chasing each other back and forth with some poofy tail action and hissing. But Socks is learning to stick up for himself. He has whapped her a good one when she's being a brat and it seems like it's helping. Lulu is hissing significantly less and growling less, too. They are much more amicable when sniffing each other. Sometimes they even sniff each other a little and walk away! No hissing at all. This is honestly going a lot better than I expected. I'm hoping they will be friendly before too long. Socks is a playful boy and she is rambunctious and getting in everything. I feel like they would love to play together if they would put aside their differences haha. So far my only problem is that I think I found a flea on my bed yesterday (I made another post about it). I ended up bathing Lulu and flea combing her. I got a few small black specks but not much, and there were no live fleas. Still planning to see if I can take them both to the vet tomorrow just to be 100% sure.

ariagator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I forgot to mention, today I went grocery shopping and (though anxious about it) I let them be out together when I went. There was no sign of anything out of the ordinary when I got back haha. They were each asleep in their cat trees. 

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So things are progressing fairly well. I actually let Lulu stay out of her room last night. She's actively trying to destroy the carpet when I shut her in there and I live in an apartment so it's a bit of a problem haha. But honestly they aren't getting along, but they aren't fighting either. They're still testing each other, and last night there was a lot of chasing each other back and forth with some poofy tail action and hissing. But Socks is learning to stick up for himself. He has whapped her a good one when she's being a brat and it seems like it's helping. Lulu is hissing significantly less and growling less, too. They are much more amicable when sniffing each other. Sometimes they even sniff each other a little and walk away! No hissing at all. This is honestly going a lot better than I expected. I'm hoping they will be friendly before too long. Socks is a playful boy and she is rambunctious and getting in everything. I feel like they would love to play together if they would put aside their differences haha. So far my only problem is that I think I found a flea on my bed yesterday (I made another post about it). I ended up bathing Lulu and flea combing her. I got a few small black specks but not much, and there were no live fleas. Still planning to see if I can take them both to the vet tomorrow just to be 100% sure.
If she is actually hissing and growling less when Socks is setting limits with her that is really good. I also agree about following up with the vet regarding the fleas just to be safe.  Lulu and Socks are still adjusting to each other well.  Hopefully now that Lulu is not locked in her room she will leave the carpet alone.  If it is possible to put down an area rug over the damaged area it would be a good idea.  I own my place but I actually removed all the carpet from my stairs because the last step the carpet got destroyed.  I think there would have been less destruction if I had done something to cover it up instead of ignoring it and allowing the damage to get worse.

Last edited:

ariagator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So yeah there is definitely less hissing and growling going on. They still aren't friends just yet, though. She definitely has fleas (I saw one on her) so I called my vet and they said I don't have to bring her in, just get an estimate of her weight (I'm gonna weigh myself on my bathroom scale then pick her up) and pick up some stufff there.I hope whatever this is works and isn't horribly expensive. Socks has been howling a lot more in the early morning. I'm not sure if he's being bothered by fleas, too, or just still not fond of her. He was always talkative it just sounds a little different.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried giving Socks extra attention in the morning when he is being more vocal? One of my cats will do this in the morning when he wants us to pet him before we get ready for work.

ariagator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apologies for never responding! The kitties are mostly getting along now. They have little tussles here and there, but i honestly can't tell whether it is playing or not. They seem a little rough, but Lulu is the only one who ever hisses or growls still. Sometimes she pounces on his back haha. But anyway, overall I think things are going well. Several mornings I have woken up to them both in bed with me. They even baff each other sometimes, though they usually end up fighting a bit afterwards. Thanks again for all the responses which calmed my anxiety when I was first starting out introducing them!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oops! Sorry for the double post. 
It happens don't worry about it.  

They both look very comfortable together in your pictures. It is possible that  your older cat may be trying to teach Lulu boundaries and manners. If she is not doing anything to try to hurt your other cat then the hissing is most likely her way of complaining when she is being told "no".  If your older cat was doing something to hurt Lulu she would be doing more than hissing or growling.  You would notice changes in the noises she is making.   Teaching a kitten boundaries and manners is a process between the two of them that will take some time.  It took at least a few months with my two.  Starbuck is now my oldest cat and she to this day will hiss and growl at my other cats if they do something to annoy her.  She never goes after them so she is just communicating with them by complaining.

Last edited: