Introducing a new kit ten to my 7 month old kitten

nastassia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone

I would like to get a new kitten. I have a 7 month old kitten, Bacardi. Is this advisable? I want Bacardi to have a companion but I don't know how she will react.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really happy I got a second cat. I bought my second kitten when my first cat was still a kitten. It was difficult for them both at first and it's eight months later and they get on really well. 

This site has an article about choosing a second cat. 

Once you get the new kitty you need to introduce them slowly. You put your new kitty in a room with all the things it needs and put a blanket in with it. The idea is to get the kitten's scent on it. You could also rub it on your kitten's cheeks. Then you give it to the resident cat.  

Your resident cat will be able to hear your new kitten for the week or so that she is in the isolated room. They may even be on each side of the door. The next thing is to place the resident cat in the isolated room for a few hours while the new cat explores another room where the cat usually stays. This gives them the chance of getting to know each other through their scent. The next thing is to have them see each other through a crack in the door. And once they feel comfortable you introduce them physically. You play an interactive game with them. You don't leave them in the same room alone until you are confident that they won't hurt each other.  

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A male would be a good choice, females tend to be princesses when they get older and two together can bring squabbles over their 'domain'.  Females love to boss the boys around. Barcardi is young enough to play with another kitten, it may take a few months but I think a new addition would be a welcome playmate and distraction for her. The beginning of introductions is always stress full, but being young helps to make a change in the dynamics of the household more stress free.Food and treats are the glue that can bring them together, my bunch didn't much care for each other at all in the beginning until food arrived, then everyone ate side by side, they didn't want to miss out! I think cats enjoy having other cats around to watch and interact with, go for it! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nastassia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm really happy I got a second cat. I bought my second kitten when my first cat was still a kitten. It was difficult for them both at first and it's eight months later and they get on really well. 

This site has an article about choosing a second cat. 

Once you get the new kitty you need to introduce them slowly. You put your new kitty in a room with all the things it needs and put a blanket in with it. The idea is to get the kitten's scent on it. You could also rub it on your kitten's cheeks. Then you give it to the resident cat.  

Your resident cat will be able to hear your new kitten for the week or so that she is in the isolated room. They may even be on each side of the door. The next thing is to place the resident cat in the isolated room for a few hours while the new cat explores another room where the cat usually stays. This gives them the chance of getting to know each other through their scent. The next thing is to have them see each other through a crack in the door. And once they feel comfortable you introduce them physically. You play an interactive game with them. You don't leave them in the same room alone until you are confident that they won't hurt each other.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nastassia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the valuable input, Di and Bob and Moorside. Much appreciated