Introducing a new cat

gmyers31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all, just found this site.

Well, I got my wife a newborn for her birthday last year (the mother was killed, shot by a .22 i think). The cat we have is a... blue tail cross japanease princess (or at least it sounds something like that, its a princess allright *sigh*)?

I don't really consider it a cat, she's more like a dog. Doesn't meow, loves water, sleeps on her back (or in the bathroom sink), in very good health (I always thought she was too skinny, but the vet says she is the right weight, its just that we are used to seeing cats overweight. For some reason she refuses to eat human food (i've even offered her things lik tuna and chicken, she sniffs it, bats it around, and then leaves it alone).

Recently we bought a "real" cat from the pound. This one is like an average cat (fat, overly cuddly, likes to be pet, eats everything). Its a male.

They're both fixed and declawed. When we bought the cat they had mentioned that he doesn't get along with other cats.

This seemed odd to me because he was such a laid back cat.

We took extra precautions to introduce the two (kept the male in my computer room, would hold them both and brought them togethor, watched them carefully the first few days when they are out togethor).

Well, my question is this: The male cat (felix) is really cuddly (much to my annoyance). Our female (hailey) isn't at all.

They've been togethor for only a week, and we are allready letting them out togethor without supervision. This is mainly because they seem to work out so well togethor. I don't understand why they said Felix doesnt get along with other cats because he has this uncaring attitude towards Hailey.

Recently they have started what I assume is play fighting. Neither of them hiss or make loud noises, sometimes they flatten their ears. But it doesn't _seem_ violent. Neither of them runs away, or looks injured. Usually they do this for awhile then flop down next to eachother.

I'm assuming this is a common action between cats. But do you think this will make our docile cat more bitey, or our bitey cat more docile?

Or would it have any affect at all?

Thanks!

Gavin

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Hi gmyers31 and welcome to the forums!

Sounds like you're very lucky with both cats playing together after just one week. I'm pretty sure they're just playing because when cats are aggressive towards each other they make a lot of noise.

I wish they weren't declawed though... We're all pretty much against that here. I know that it's too late for those two, but please have a look at this thread:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...3?threadid=137
It may save the claws of any future cats you may own.

By the way, your wife is very lucky too! A kitten for a birthday present!

And one last thing - I'm moving this thread to the behavior forum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gmyers31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've only recently heard about how bad declawing was for cats.

We're not going to declaw any cats we have in the future. I guess I just took it at face value; the thing that was always done, just like fixing.

I guess that's something that should be stressed also; even if you do have a non-exotic animal (cat, dog) that its always important to read up on their behaviors.

When we had a rabbit reading up on its behaviors was important. They have some wacky habits! Finally gave her to a friend (I don't belive in pounds, I like to see and know the person I give an animal too). The rabbit and cat got used to eachother because they were both babies growing up. That was an odd couple!

But, this brings me to another question.

If we get another cat, how would a clawed and declawed cat react towards eachother? Is there a chance that a clawed cat could seriously hurt a declawed cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gmyers31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this reminds me

hailey only likes to drink running water. Is that a common thing? Right now we have one of those rock fountains in our living room (not the big 600 pound rock fountains, the 29.99 walgreens thing) usually i just leave that on for her to drink. Her water dish is almost always full. Her water dish is clean too, right next to her food. We change it often, but she just doesn't drink out of it.

Is this a common thing? Has anyone else came acrosse this problem?

Its no big deal to keep the rock fountain stocked with water, just wondering if this could be a bad thing or not.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The fountain thing is normal!! Cats will usually prefer anything but a bowl

As for the claw issue. It can sometimes be a problem. If the declawed cat feels defensless, they can start to bite instead. If you ever get another cat, you may want to get a kitten, this way the introduction is much easier.

nemokitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, My cat drink from the sink alll the time!  He even sits on the bathroom sink and meows untill I come and turn the water on for him!   Its very normal.   My previous cat did the same thing also. She was always jumping up on to the kitchen sink for drink.  Its the funniest thing to watch.   Although can be annoying when trying to brush your teeth in the morning, and you have a kitty in the way! LOL