Introducing A New Cat

johhnyringox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I inherited a 3 year old unspayed female calico from a family member that passed away. Me and my wife already had 2 cats of out own.

My question is, we received the new cat on Friday she was really sweet at first (all day Friday) but she has been very cranky sense then, hissing swatting at us growling. We have her separated from our own cats, brought some of her own littler and brand of food. I know it is stressful for her but is it normal for the initial personality to change so drastically after one day?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

johhnyringox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are going to get her spayed as soon as the Vet says to.
When cats are in heat do they get cranky?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The heat thing is definitely possible, but this could easily be a routine cat-cats introduction issue. She was friendly at first, then, I would hypothesize that the other cats smelled her, came to the door to to investigate, and they heard and smelled each other up close through the door. As Abyeb said, once a cat gets stressed (by anything), its behavior towards humans is often affected. You'll likely get a friendly adjusted cat out of this if the introduction process is a success. Follow the guide Abyeb linked.