Introducing a new cat

tarralb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I currently have two resident male cats. Both are dominant- which causes conflicts daily between them but they usually ignore each other. One is very large (14 pounds) and uses his size to intimidate. He also is the only one with claws which worries me.

I brought home a young girl cat Sunday. She was quaranteened in a bedroom until last night. I did get a baby gate and let them see each other and would feed canned food to all three of them on either side of the gate and give treats to create a positive experience. I moved her to the bathroom last night and allowed my other two cats to go in the room and investigate. There has been some redirected aggression between my two males due to the newcomer...but nothing serious- just some growling and whining.

I let them all see each other again this morning, but one at a time. I don't want to overwhelm the new girl who two jerk males staring, hissing, and growling at her. So far there has been no aggression thru the gate. Both males did jump over the gate at separate times and got close to her and hissed, growled, and an occassional swat. She participated in this too, but seems to want to just ignore them.

How much longer should I leave her in the bathroom behind the gate? Is there anything else I should be doing? I am going to try the vanilla thing today. I was also going to put the two males in another room and allow her to explore the house. I am doing everything I can to make being around each other rewarding and I am paying extra attention to my males.

At what point should I let her out and just let them hiss, growl, and lightly swat each other? Obviously I would separate them if there was a fight.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome! Sounds like you are doing all the right things.

I'd keep her behind the gate until the growling ceases a little more. Also switch the cats once in a while too, let the newcomer explore the house, get her scent around, and the residents get used to her scent in the room she was in.

If they seem too stressed to eat so close to each other, move the dishes further away.. then slowly bring them closer over the course of a few days.

if you don't have vanilla, baby powder will work too. I use this when my cats come home from the vets and it worked for me.

Just making sure.. are they all spayed and neutered? If not, that would contribute to the aggression.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarralb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes, all spayed and neutered. I did put a dropper of vanilla on the top of their necks. they seem ok to eat close to one another. sometimes they stare and sniff and seem ok...then one will hiss. my large male is randomly running up to the gate like a jerk...he did this to my previous female and chased her everywhere so I am nervous he will do this to her too.

panther n river

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert but this is what I've done with each of my babies and in a week or two they are completely adapted to each other. Keep doing what you're doing or you can also try  exchanging blankets or beds.Brush them with the same brush specially around the neck and then let them smell. That mixes their scents and they become familiar with the scent of the new one.

Good luck and congratulations!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is a great article on introducing cats to one another

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

It is very helpful.  Each household and each cat will adapt differently.  Some will be friends and get along right from the start.  Others will take months to just coexist.  Be patient and follow the guidelines. 

I brought a stray into the house in late May.  I had one resident indoor only cat, one dog and 2 outdoor ferals.  It was hard.  We are still working on things.  The two males inside the house will never be best buddies, but they do coexist and live here mostly peacefully!!  Good luck.

panther n river

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Here is a great article on introducing cats to one another

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

It is very helpful.  Each household and each cat will adapt differently.  Some will be friends and get along right from the start.  Others will take months to just coexist.  Be patient and follow the guidelines. 

I brought a stray into the house in late May.  I had one resident indoor only cat, one dog and 2 outdoor ferals.  It was hard.  We are still working on things.  The two males inside the house will never be best buddies, but they do coexist and live here mostly peacefully!!  Good luck.
What she says is right! Every cat is different a has a different personality. My Panther and River got along by the 3rd to 5th day, the last one, Apple Pie, took almost 2 weeks for my River to at least coexist with him, and they are not the best friends either. Panther is female so her personality is very sweet and she is not dominant, so she has accepted the boys with almost no resistance, River on the other side, thinks the whole Universe moves around him or at least it should lol  Apple pie is just happy he has a home and a family now but not so sure why his new sibling doesn't like to play with him like his litter brothers did.

Just be patient, in their own time they will get along just fine. And this site helped me too to understand many things being a new cat mom. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarralb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. My biggest concern now is this. I had a female that had to be put down in October. She was way older than my males. She was never been to slash a cat or dog. My newest male is only two and very dominant. He chased her constantly and she resorted to hiding under an end table all day. I found out though that she had cancer and she was sick with ear infections for two months. I had HOPED he chased her bc he knew she was sick, but I am noticing this same behavior with my new female. He keeps charging the baby gate and trying to climb it (I have two stacked on top of each other). She is growling and hissing but getting scared. I am REALLY Afraid he has some sort of issue with females and will torment her. Is this commion? Is there anything I can do?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would quarantine the new girl and start introductions completely over.  Follow the guidelines from above.  I wouldn't let them see each other at all.  Make her feel safe first.  Give her a room where she can call her own.  She can eat there, sleep there, play there and have a litter box there.  Start off with scent swapping.  You may need to do this every day for a week or more.  You can scent swap with towels and rub all of the cats down.  You can also put the scent of the new comer under the 2 males food.  THey will associate her with good things!  Then put their scent under her food.  You could then start by cracking the door and letting them just catch a glimpse of each other.  You can feed on opposite sides of the door too.  First with the door close and then with a baby gate or two.  I have used a cheap screen door from Lowes that I attach to the door frame with cheap tension rods.  I have a picture if you would like to see it.  The screen door is only $20.  This gives them sight and scent without getting to each other. 

The stray I brought into my house in late May was a very territorial aggressive male.  He was neutered, but wanted all of the inside territory.  My male resident cat was used to it being all his.  It was not a pretty site.  I kept the stray in a spare room for over 2 months before the boys were allowed to be out together.  It was a difficult process that began in mid August and I still consider it a work in progress.  We used to have daily fights with fur everywhere.  There has not been a fight since late October.  I still watch them like a hawk and they are not left out together.  But they can now coexist in the house.

A few things I used that did help.  Composure feline treats or Composure liquid max.  The treats work but you need to give 3 at a time and they take up to an hour to work.  The Composure liquid Max can be put in wet food and works within 15 minutes and lasts 6-8 hours.  I gave it to both boys.  It can be purchased online at Amazon or other pet stores.  I also used Rescue Remedy as well as a few other Flower Essences from Spirit Essences.  Jackson Galaxy of the Animal Planet show "My Cat From H*ll" is one of the co founds of Spirit Essences.  You can google him and find out great info.  He has lots and lots of wonderful suggestions.  He is especially fond of the phrase Eat, Play Love!  He says to use delicious food to your advantage.  It worked for my two.  They love cooked plain chicken.  I would use it to reward good behavior as well as getting them in the same room for very short visits. 

I have lots more suggestions, but I think you have enough to start with right now.  Do not give up as it is possible.  I shed many many tears over my situation, but I perservered.  It takes time and patience.