Introducing a new cat to your old cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

tazdear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2.5 year old male cat (neutered). I just adopted another 1 year old male cat, recently neutered. I followed the guidelines in Hissy's article about introducing new cats to resident cats, and am not having much success. I have had the new cat for 3 weeks, and every meeting with the old cat is a slug fest. The new cat chases the old cat, and the old cat runs - so the new cat chases more, and eventually they fight. So far we have gotten away with just a scratch on the nose, but I'm afraid it will get worse. Is there something I'm not doing? I'm in need of advice. I desperately don't want to return the new cat to the shelter, but I don't want my old cat to have to constantly defend himself. Is it hopeless or should I keep trying?

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tuxedokitties

I used the excellent ideas in the article to introduce my cats (one is VERY territorial) to my husband's cat when I moved into his house. I kept my cats in a separate room for an entire month, being very careful not to rush the process because of my territorial boy, and the fact that my cats and my husband's cat are all older.

I also used the Feliway plug-in in the room where I kept my cats, and sprayed Feliway spray around the house. For the scent, I used some perfume that is safe for cats that I bought on Ebay called "Oh My Cat?" (did this before I heard about the vanilla extract). I also still keep a bag of soft cat treats out, and whenever my territorial cat & hubby's cat come near one another I give them treats & catnip.

Whew! Not a single fight! They just walk by one another & sniff a little, then go on their way.

You guys are
for being so helpful. MA's article was a great help!
Do you have to use the diffuser and the spray? Or will just the diffuser work?

2blackcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our Tobis 2.5 year old neutralised male was the center of our attention for 2 years. He does not like other cats, as when he was young, he was attacked by a neighbours female cat. We got outside in time for him being hurt not physically, but emotionally. When he grew up we thought he is getting on well with dogs, sometimes even chasing and teasing them, but he had always had a safe place to go to - home.
Recently we have adopted a stray female cat. She is fully grown up, around 1 y.o. but a size of 4 month old kitten. She displays some agressive behavior of growling ( like a lion)- never seen cats doing that before. Since we adopted her on our way home from a family holiday and Tobis at that time was looked after by our family member in there house, we had to leave him there for 5 weeks , while our new kitty recovering from desexing surgery and getting to know a new place.
We thought that Tobis will give her a hard time, but it happened opposite.
He is twice as big as her and twice as old, but he is allowing her to growle at him , and he would not eat in her presence.
A week later after adopting a new kitty, Nimmitabel we called her, we adopted a stray dog. She walked into our yard and stayed there. Yana is a cross with greyhound. We had our concerns about cats and dogs but dog trainers told us that it is possible.

So while Tobis was away a new dog Yana and cat Nimmitabel made friends. Yana does not attempt to chase house cats but shows a friendly interest in them.
Now, when we have Tobis back, he is scared to come home. We all feel bad,
as we love Tobis, and he is a very affectionate cat, but we have to feed him outside. And he sleeps in our neighbours yard.
I would appreciate any suggestions on how to make our Tobis feel comfortable with his new sisters.
He likes to sleep indoors, but at night he runs outside.

dinahcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So... I have a question. What do I do if my new cat & old cat have already met, and I didnt do the above suggestions?

I will appologize now for not doing this before.

jazz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am going through this now and reading your tips are helping. I know that my friend used tuna jiuce right on a little kitten and the older cat licked it off which was great, they got along fine. In my case though these cats are both spayed females about 5 years old. Will 2 females ever get along?

grina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Because of the hurricane situation, it has been necessary to introduce two new female cats to a household of three (2 female/1male) cat, far too rapidly. The agression however, has been between the two female residents--one of whom has decided to actually attack the other resident, while only growling at the newcomers (who pay her little mind). I've never heard of this turning on one's own--what can be done to stop it?

ivansmom1998

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help! Have two furry boys already (Ivan and Frisby) both a year old. Just got a new kitten today(female 6 weeks old) Did not know about separating them at first. Boys are not too thrilled with the new baby. No violence yet just a lot of hissing, growling and running on the boys part. Tried the perfume thing but the boys won't go near her. She doesn't seem to care much what they do. Any suggestions? I wasn't home when my husband brought Frisby home and he's out of town now. How long until they get along?

Status
Not open for further replies.