Introducing a new cat after a death

cat brothers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not sure this is the proper forum to broach this topic but does anyone have experience with introducing a new cat to a surviving cat after the death of its brother?
Is it better to leave the surviving cat alone or get a companion for him? Should I get an older cat or a kitten and if so how does one introduce them.
I realize it is a bit premature in thinking about this topic but it will give me something to take my mind off the inevitable.
Thanks for your opinions and help.
Cat brothers

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome, I am sorry to hear about your loss, its a difficult and and I am sure brother cat will also be feeling that something is wrong

Maybe you could tell us a bit more about the character of your remaining cat ooo and his/her name too
you know, how old, shy, playful etc. this will all help when deciding about your new addition

Theres lots of older cats needing homes and the shelters would be able to 'match' a suitable cat for your existing cat.

Well lots to think about and once you decide which route you are going to take, theres lots of experienced members here who can advise on 'cat intros'
and some helpful reading in The Cat Care and Cat Health boards

So keep us posted and enjoy the forums

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!
!........

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

L

larks

Not sure about brothers but we've recently introduced 2 cats after the death of one cat in our house. The surviving cat was chummy tho with the departed one. When introducing the first one , 2yr old cat, they did have a few very small fights but after a few days all was well. The second was a kitten a bit later and we were surprised to find that both cats accepted the kitten instantly. We had a few days of coming in room holding the kitten first but once put in a room with others was fine.
So I'm not sure if its always the experience but kittens with cats seem to work v well and for adult ones might take a while.
Our surviving cat does seem to be better for it, much more active and always playing with the kitten. Not so mcuh with the other one still but they get on with no more fights.
On introducing the kitten to house we let her in a room on her own for a week or so as we got her at 9 weeks old and then carried her and showed her to the other cats now and again then let her around house with them.
Hope this was useful and my condolences for your loss.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello & welcome to the forum. I've had no experience introducing 2 cats as my older cat Coco lives next door with mum. I've heard you keep new cat in its own room so resident cat gets used to its smell from under the door. Then you swap each cats bedding. After a couple of weeks you can introduce each cat with supervision.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi & welcome to TCS!
It's great that you've joined us!

If you have any questions as you find your way around the site, please feel free to click on my username and send me a private message. I'll be happy to help.