Introducing a kitten to a cat

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
azcarol - that is so sweet! yay!!

Here's an update from my house:
Mattie and Chloe were seperated over Thanksgiving. I ended up boarding Mattie at a vet's office and Chloe came with me. I didn't think they would be able to tolerate each other in a car or in a small bedroom for a few days.

Now that they are both home, they seem to be doing better? Mattie will let Chloe sleep near her, but Chloe (the kitten) won't approach Mattie and if she does, Mattie will still hiss. It's not really as bad as it used to be, but I'm kind of worried that this is as friendly as they are going to get? Is it possible that as Chloe gets older and less playful that the two of them might actually end up cuddling or playing together? Or is that just wishful thinking?

??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

azcarol - that is so sweet! yay!!

Here's an update from my house:
Mattie and Chloe were seperated over Thanksgiving. I ended up boarding Mattie at a vet's office and Chloe came with me. I didn't think they would be able to tolerate each other in a car or in a small bedroom for a few days.

Now that they are both home, they seem to be doing better? Mattie will let Chloe sleep near her, but Chloe (the kitten) won't approach Mattie and if she does, Mattie will still hiss. It's not really as bad as it used to be, but I'm kind of worried that this is as friendly as they are going to get? Is it possible that as Chloe gets older and less playful that the two of them might actually end up cuddling or playing together? Or is that just wishful thinking?

??
Well, when we first brought Sox home I thought her and Wesley would never get along. I thought Wesley would eat her! They did not like each other one bit! But the more we let them mingle the more they didn't mind each other. Well, I guess SOx never really minded Wesley too much it was Wesley that didn't like her because she would try toplay with him and he didn't like it! But now they roll around together. Some times I think they are hurting each other but I guess they are just playing. Every once in a while they will make a little meow while playing but just continue on so I figure they are fine! Every once in a while they will lay together but I haven't seen them cuddle yet. Just lay next to each other. So I think there is hope for youe kitties! I found they made progress faster when we let them mingle together (with supervision) and just let them hiss at each other. After that they seemed to adjust better. Then when I saw they weren't going to actually kill each other we left them alone when we went out and when we came back they were both still alive!
So give it a little while and I think they wil do just fine!

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great to read all these posts... they have all been very encouraging.

It has been a week since we have had Caluga. We introduced him to our resident cat Molly, after only an hour of his arrival. The first night neither slept a wink.. Molly followed him absolutely everywhere and there was the obvious hissing and a little growling. Since then, each day is better. They are eating like horses, which is a good sign. During the day they sleep on 2 chairs pulled right up next to each other, so I guess that is almost like actually sleeping together. They are starting to play a lot more together, and Molly is trying so hard to groom Caluga, but he wants none of it... I'm sure that will come later. Molly has become SO vocal since Caluga's arrival... he chirps and twitters all the time. I just wish I knew what they were saying to each other

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
quick update:

Mattie and Chloe are starting to play a little more and can sleep near each other without the other one moving. I'm not sure if the playing is 'good' playing though, it mostly consists of Mattie batting Chloe on the head (lightly) like she was a toy.

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

quick update:

I'm not sure if the playing is 'good' playing though, it mostly consists of Mattie batting Chloe on the head (lightly) like she was a toy.
Sounds like how my two play at times... sometimes it is like watching a couple of sumo wrestlers!! I have figured out as long as nobody is screaming or drawing blood, all is good. Seriously, without sounding flip, as long as there is no fur flying they are probably only playing

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sphynx

Sounds like how my two play at times... sometimes it is like watching a couple of sumo wrestlers!! I have figured out as long as nobody is screaming or drawing blood, all is good. Seriously, without sounding flip, as long as there is no fur flying they are probably only playing
Hehe, well that is good to hear! She gets the cutest look on her face when she does it, it just is this expression that says "what? I didn't do anything wrong. Chloe's annoying."

torbie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is some advice I found on the net. I have always found Vicky Halls' suggestions very useful.
A little bit of extra effort at the beginning can make the difference between a good and a bad relationship in the future. Your cat is not necessarily going to welcome the new kitten with open paws! Start by placing a kitten pen* in a room that your existing cat doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t particularly favour but allow the kitten to exercise within the room when the other cat is not around. A couple of times a day, open the door to the room whilst the kitten is eating in his pen and place a bowl of tasty food as near to the pen as you can for your existing cat to eat comfortably. Once this has happened comfortably, reduce the distance between the two cats when they are feeding by small amounts daily. It would also be useful to exchange bedding between the two to allow them to become familiar with the otherâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s scent. After a week start to place the kitten pen in other rooms of increasing importance so that your existing cat will understand that the kitten has rights of access to all areas. Allow several weeks before opening the pen and letting the cats get to know each other. Keep a cushion or pillow handy to place between them just in case things do not go according to plan.
*A kitten pen is a large metal cage with a solid floor that is normally used for kittening queens. It is big enough for a bed, toys, food, water and a litter tray. They are often available for hire from veterinary practices or you can purchase one from any good pet shop.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a new Kitten too I got in Nov. She is Black and White and is part Russian Blue but didnt take that side. I showed her to Coco my old Cat first and she tries to nurse on her. I kept her in the bathroom for awhile. She is with the other Cats now Sasha my Russian Blue mix and the kitten love to play. Sasha is only 1 year older then her. Sasha did Hiss to her at first. Yoshi gets mean to her but he has Kidney Stones and dosent feel well. Meeko likes her.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright maybe my BooBoo is a little weird, or else the kitten was just so young that it made a difference, But when I brought EEK home I showed them to each other right away and the first thing BooBoo did was groom him! Ive always just kind of let my kitties get to know one another by putting them together right away and have never really had a problem... Like I said though, BooBoo may just be weird or EEK was so young he thought he needed to father him!

From what I generally here its best to introduce them slowly, making sure that you're laying it on thick that the first one was the still the focus!

Good luck, Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like everyone's kittens are doing a lot better!
Yea!!!

It is so nice having our cats getting along so well. I can barely remember what it was like when we first brought Sox home! And that really wasn't very long ago! They like to play a lot together. It's like every time they are awake they go crazy with each other then get all tired out and sleep. Then they get up and do it all over again, with brakes in between to eat!