Introducing a cat to a kitten soon, any advice is welcomed!

magicstorm101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 year old cat Jamie is a very sweet cat. He tolerates my clingy, 14 year old sister, the demanding and bossy rabbit, Tenshi, and of course keeps a watchful but interested eye on anyone who comes through our door. He is, by all means a gentle, fat giant. However, I realize he gets very lonely and often quite bored all by himself. He constantly seeks attention, from us and the rabbit. Although Tenshi the rabbit will play games with Jamie sometimes, he is dominant, moody, and REALLY likes his solitude. In short, Jamie needs a friend that is on his level. Someone who gets him. So I’ve decided to get a kitten.

I haven’t gotten it yet, but I know my ideal match will be a female kitten. (A fixed female; Jamie is fixed too by the way) I feel like Jamie could use someone below him, who is not too intimidating for him to be with. I figured a kitten would be appropriate. Jamie is used to having another animal in the house sharing his space, so I know he is at least familiar with the idea.

However another cat is way different. Although he is shy, submissive, and sweet, I can’t really predict everything that will happen with a new kitten. I don’t want Jamie to feel like his home is under siege, or frighten the poor kitten.

Does anyone have any pointers on how I can help Jamie adjust when the time comes? I know about getting the cats use to each other’s scents with swapping belongings and such before meeting one another, but id like other ideas too. Anything would be helpful.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing I can add to what you already know, is to continue treating Jamie the same way when the kitten arrives. People tend to get excited over a newcomer and sometimes will pay less attention to the resident cat. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackson Galaxy has great cat introduction advice.  I recommend checking it out!  As long as you remember to go at their pace and love on both kitties you should all be fine.  Good luck!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll just add these articles - they may contain something you've not come across yet ;) [article="32680"][/article][article="29726"][/article][article="30316"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

magicstorm101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
these are extremely helpful articles! :D I thank you! I do have one major problem though...I don't have a spare room for the new kitten to stay in, away from Jamie. it seems to be an important step.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

magicstorm101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the bathroom? oh! I didn't think of that! its a bit small, but it shouldn't matter to a kitten.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should be totally fine for short term. You'll of course switch them out and give the kitten time to run around and play each day. Hopefully this will be a fast process and they'll adapt quickly!