Introducing a bold and confident cat to a calm but shy dog.

2wizandabun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need some advice to introducing my new cat to my existing dog or just some similar stories about the introduction process.

I rescued an 2 year old cat a week and a half ago.  He is a cornish rex and has an amazing, friendly, and energetic personality.  This cat will immediately walk up to you and give you affectionate head butts and just wants to be constantly around you and have you play/pet him.  He can play forever and has endless energy. The cat is very friendly to all humans -- strangers and even the vet! My husband (a self-proclaimed dog person) and I love him and think that we are very lucky to have him in our lives.

So, we already have a great dog, approximately 20lbs and probably a shih-tsu poodle mix.  He does not have a mean bone in his cute body.  He's generally low energy (he likes to play fetch for 10 minutes and then naps for hours). He also rarely barks unless to alert us of someone at the door. He was rescued a year ago and is calm, a little shy around strangers, but otherwise very well-trained. There used to be an outdoor cat that our neighbors owned and he would be very calm and friendly towards it. 

Before getting our cat, we read up extensively on how to introduce a new cat to an existing dog household. We gave the cat his own safe room. He has adjusted very well (using litter box fine, great appetite, yearning to get out and explore). We started introducing the cat to the dog and honestly it has progressed quickly. 

On day 3 of bringing the cat home, we started out with having the dog and cat eat on either side of the door. There were no issues. Both were comfortable. We then had a cracked door introduction where the cat could see the dog. The cat clearly had never lived with dogs before and there was some hissing and swiping. The dog was generally startled/retreated/not aggressive. We would quickly respond by closing the door and calming both animals.

On day 5, we had the dog in a crate in an adjacent room and then allowed the cat to "explore." We thought there would be more hissing or the cat would keep his distance but instead the cat boldly came right up to the crate and rubbed himself against it. here was no fear on the cat's part and both animals received treats/ were comfortable.

On day 7, we allowed the dog outside of the crate but within arm's length of us. Again, there was no issue with the cat. Because we were right next to the dog, the cat would come right up to us and the dog and play/eat treats, be generally comfortable. We even had a nap session on the bed with both animals. However, whenever the dog would wander to the rest of the room further away from us or towards the safe room, the cat would stalk the dog, confront the dog, and then swipe at his face. This has happened twice and the dog responds by making yelps of protest/retreating.  When this happened, we would put the dog in the crate and the cat would go back to being comfortable with the dog. To be clear, I do not allow the dog into the cat's safe room and always command him to come back when the dog wanders towards it.

So here we are now, I feel like I'm a little bit stuck at the cat being comfortable with the dog in the crate and outside of the crate but within close distance to us. Should we just continue this until the cat stops swiping/ being aggressive when the dog wanders on his own? I think my poor dog is now a little fearful of the cat and sometimes a little outraged at the cat's controlling ways.  Should I let both animals learn their boundaries/establish their hierarchy?

I have not allowed the cat to explore the rest of the house because we're getting some work done on it and I don't want the smells/disturbances to upset the cat. The area that he's allowed to, including his safe room, is on the second floor and approximately 500 square feet. The entire house is over 2000 square feet. and we plan on catifying it with steps, perches, etc.  The dog is usually on the bottom floor and in one of the rooms upstairs at night. We of course keep them separated. Maybe the small area is a factor in the cat feeling defensive/territorial when the dog is unconfined?

I would love to learn about other experiences, particularly with a very bold and confident cat that is the instigator.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi @2wizandabun...and welcome to TCS (the Cat Site).

Your situation is interesting, because I am not sure if your 2 year old cornish rex wants to play with your shih-tsu poodle mix,

or if he is indeed being territorial and aggressive.

Do you think your cat is trying to play, or being aggressive?  

(In my situation, I have a large black labrador dog, and have always found that certain cats liked to push the dog around, or exert dominance, but then they were all pretty friendly with one another.

It did take a lot of time, initially, when the Lab was a puppy, to get used to my older cat at the time, and a younger cat. But your situation is very different.)

Honestly, I would have placed your cat, in the dog crate, for a time-out, and not your dog,...since your cat did the swiping, and stalking of the dog.

Cats have to learn that this type of aggressive behaviour is also not wanted.

The only problem is because you have just adopted your cat, approximately 2 weeks ago,...you still need to have your cat feel confident, and comfortable in his new forever home.

I'm wondering if you should try some methods that are suggested for 'cat-to-cat introductions' ...just to see if this will help settle your cat down.

This is the Article with different ideas in it, about scent swapping, using treats for rewarding any positive interactions, and even trying 'room-swapping' so that your cat gets to be in a larger territory, and explore, but your dog also gets to share the cat's space.

[article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]  

The other thing you can try is 'harness training' your cat, especially if he is always running after your dog and being aggressive.

I would not try harness training, now, though,...because it is still too soon, and your cat has not had enough time to become comfortable in his new place.

You do have a good point, about your cat maybe feeling that his area is smaller than the dog's territory, and therefore feeling more defensive.

I think that makes a lot of sense. The only thing you can do for that, is eventual room swapping.

Have there been any improvements since you last posted?

(And could you tell us your cat and dog's name, perhaps post a few photos,...we love photos, here.) 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

2wizandabun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thanks for the great suggestions!! Honestly, this was a case of "need to take things slowly." I think there was still some underlying fear/anxiety issues. There was so much progress in the week after I posted. We went through an entire week with maybe two incidents of swiping/hissing. I allowed the cat (his name is Merlin) to explore the rest of the house which I think has helped with any territoriality/space issues. Now, my dog (Gandalf) can freely wander on his own when the two are out together with no stalking/hissing. They mostly ignore each other. Merlin does occasionally go up to Gandalf and rub against him. It's cute. I don't think the two are snuggle buddies yet but It's definitely a possibility in the future. We do not allow them to be together alone yet. I think that will come soon though. I included a cute picture of the two peacefully on the couch together.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the marvelous headway you have made with those two.  Yes, I do believe also that in time those 2 will be the best of friends.  So fun to read and watch their development.