Introducing 2 New Kittens To Each Other

RubyMorris905

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! Im hoping to get some advice. We just adopted 2 kittens, a boy Morris 13weeks old and a little lady Ruby- 8 weeks old. they shared a cage in the shelter for a day before we got them. Morris claimed himself king of the castle pretty quick.. took no time adjusting to the new home, not much time adjusting to us either.. Ruby on the other hand has hid for the past few days. Which I know is pretty normal, ,and she was just spayed the day before we picked her up.(he is fixed as well) But Morris tries to get into her safe space any chance he can get and swatting at her.. Day 2, she started to come out, but every time she emerges he runs to her and ambushes her.. I closed the door and just have me and Ruby in the room to get her acquainted to me and build her confidence.. I got her to start playing with the wand toy. Took almost an hour but slowly but surely she started jumping and attacking the toy. Then when she got tired I held her on the bed and my boyfriend held Morris and we all laid on the bed together.. to try to have them comfortable being close to eachother and both having our attention. It seems morris gets a little annoyed when we are trying to give her attention.

Now, on day 3, she is getting a little more brave, but he is still ambushing her every chance he gets. She wants to come socialize and come to the living room with us but he prevents her from doing so. Every time she comes out of hiding he runs after her.. sometimes she tries to fight back but I think since shes younger and smaller shes just too weak to handle him on top of her.. she hisses and yells at him and we try to let them hash it out but after hearing the yelling we intervene by clapping or scaring Morris to get off her. I know they need to establish their own relationship, but its so hard to know she cant come out without fear of him. He literally doesn’t let up. I think he just plays too rough for her. And now during the week, we have to go to work so they are left alone together.. We are wondering if we should keep them in separate rooms when we are gone? At least while she gets a bit bigger and more comfortable? Or would that be counterproductive? I know its only been 4 days since we’ve taken them home, but they’ve been 4 days of stress for Ruby. Any advice on how to make this transition easier for all of us would be greatly appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I would keep them separated. She doesn't have the strength or endurance to deal with him.
Also, try this, when he starts his bad behavior, give him a firm NO, and a HISS just like his mama would do.
She's at a serious disadvantage and he needs to be repeatedly told and taught not to beat up on her.
Good luck! Let us know how things go :)

Catluvvn9296

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They will eventually get along. our cats were doing the same thing. Literally your post was our story. Just give it a couple more days. We were going to get rid of both kittens. Now they run from us together play together and apparently sniffs/licks his butt. So watch what you wish for. They like each other now more than they actually like us. So just give it time. We have a girl and boy, the boy is older and was aggresssive towards her but now she can hang and are super playful. They are inseparable! And finds time for us too lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RubyMorris905

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks! i mean i know they will get along eventually, but its just how long will Ruby need to endure the constant bullying before it gets to that point? i think we may separate them during the day while we are at work and then let them socialize when we are home just to give her a chance to breathe a bit.. i dont want to deprive either of them a happy life and part of us thinks they would be better off in a single cat household.. but its only been 4 days.. i think we may just be getting ahead of ourselves :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Don't let him bully her, as you've been, but add the hiss at him. That's his language. Every cat is different and there's no way yet to know how this might turn out.
Hang in there!