Introducing 16mth Cat Old To Resident 4 Year Old Cat

EKA482

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I’m just looking for some reassurance hopefully!
Last weekend we adopted a recently spayed 16 month old girl to keep our 4 year old neutered male. (He a large BSH whereas she’s tiny in comparison). The girl is currently being kept in a large dog crate in the back room and we get her out a few times a day to explore this room. The resident cat can see her during the day while she is in her cage. He has wandered into the room a couple of times when she has been out playing and while there has been a couple of hisses there has been no growling. He is also happy to sleep in that room as long as she is secured in her cage. Today when they saw each other however the came close to each other and though they didn’t hiss they did try to take a swipe at each other and both tried to get to a higher position than the other and displayed some tail swishing(the girl) and puffing out of fur (boy).The resident cat then proceeded to walk away from the new cat put was walking around the room making an almost chirping sound but not quite the same as when he looks at birds it was more a meow/chirp. They have sniffed each other through the crack in the door and not reacted either. I’m just concerned they will not get on. Thank you

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like they are getting along. It’s a great sign that they are chirping! It’s expected with any cat introduction that there be hissing, growling, fur raising, and paw swiping. This normally subsides within a few weeks.

I’ve introduced nearly 100 foster kittens to my 2 year old resident cat and they act just like yours do at first, then within a week they are grooming each other and chasing each other down the halls!

The only warning sign I would look out for is if she actually lunges or attacks him. If that happens, then you will need to extend the quarantine process a little longer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EKA482

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few days on and I hope things are going ok, they seem to be generally tolerating each other. The odd hiss and paw swipe if one of them moves to suddenly. We are letting the new kitty out of her ‘cage’ for extended periods and the resident cat just seems to follow her round keeping an eye on her. Neither seem to have gone off their food and are behaving well so here’s to hoping they will eventually become friends.

EKA482

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
F24B6BDF-F1A4-454D-B6D2-AE38634FB098.jpeg

EKA482

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sleeping close so hopefully this means they will get on.