Intranasal FVRCP

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have 2 threads going on the same cat, because I need 2 different answers, if they need merged I understand.
So, Cygnus my herpes cat saw the vet and she suggested instead of doing the annual FVRCP that we try intranasal FVRCP every six months as it seems to help with herpes activity.

My question is: He just had an annual FVRCP in May and she wants to start the intranasal next month, it would seem to me we would wait until next May. I don't want to overvaccinate. Any thoughts?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I see your point and don't know the answer. If it were me, I would make a major point of asking for an explanation from the vet about any danger of overvaccinating, if that is even a danger, and if possibly it does not need to be started next month. You also might call the pharmceutical company directly. They may want to sell their products, but they also don't want to harm your pet. A couple of times I have been told not to do something by Dechra personally when a vet wanted to over prescribe.

Having said that, my dog was a rescue from out of state from a chaotic situation and ended up receiving all his puppy shots twice in fairly close time frame. He is still here 15 years later. I am not saying that made it okay though as I don't know if we were just fortunate.