Intolerance to Raw Chicken?

rosiel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

Everytime I feed raw chicken to my 5 month old Ragdoll boy, he either has loose stools or he throws up. Has anyone here heard of this happening before? I fed him Natural Instinct Chicken and Lamb as well as Natural Instinct Chicken and beef. In the former, he got loose stools, and in the latter, he threw it up. Natural Instinct is similar to Nature's Variety and they sell complete frozen raw diet for cats.

I also think he can only tolerate a certain amount of raw Chicken, is it true that kittens must not be allowed to eat too much raw?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you feeding him  probiotics and digestive enzymes along with the raw food? That would be good if you did.   Also, if he has a sensitive stomach, it may be best not to switch around the raw proteins until he gets used to them)  No, you cannot feed too much raw to a kitten.  They can eat a completely raw diet, as long as it is nutritionally balanced, which I believe both of those foods are.

Now I have heard of cats being allergic to raw chicken, yet being able to eat  Organic Chicken.  What I would try is to get a food that is not a mix (instead of chicken and lamb, or chicken and beef,  just chicken or just lamb, or maybe rabbit?)  Most cats really like rabbit, or turkey?  Anyway, that way you can truly narrow down the culprit of what is making him either have diarrhea or vomit.  But do think about adding in a digestive enzyme (I use Prozyme), and probiotics.  Many of us use this probiotic 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! :wavey:

Kittens do just fine on all raw, so long as you're feeding a nutritionally balanced diet. :nod: (Where would feral cat moms get cooked food?)

And yes, I've heard of this. Carolina's Bugsy was allergic to chicken in commercial foods. She started him on lamb or rabbit or something for raw, and then later tried chicken. She found that if she fed organic - or even the "free range" vegetarian fed chicken, Bugsy was fine. But if she feeds him regular supermarket chicken, he's got the same problem. So if you're using commercial, you'd need to buy organic chicken - or just use a different protein. But if you're making homemade, or feeding frankenprey, try it with organic chicken (or just use other proteins).

OH - you're in the UK. I don't know what the labeling equivalent of "free range, vegetarian fed" chicken would be there. But try organic - or avoid chicken. :nod: (It's the feed that's used for the chickens that can cause a problem in the raw proteins).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks mrsgreenjeans! Yes, I have already been giving him a probiotic paste everyday, in the UK we have Pro-Kolin here which has the Enterococcus faecium and some natural binding agents to help firm the stools up. He had the runny bum the first few weeks since arriving and I've manage to get it under control by giving him 1 tbsp of pureed pumpkin a day added to his diet.

His stools started getting better and better and was perfect for a while (no vomiting or anything like that since Natural Instinct Chicken and Lamb raw incident) when he was on a diet of 1/3 Wild Game Bird (raw), 1/3 Ziwipeak Air-dried Lamb (air-dried raw) and 1/3 Feringa grain-free Rabbit (with parsnips and catnip) wet food, however I gave him Chicken and Beef yesterday evening and that is when he vomited it, the next day he had loose stools. My suspicion is that it's the chicken as there was also a point in time when his stools simply did not get any better after giving him boiled chicken for a few days after his incident with the Chicken and Lamb.

Before I got him he was on Royal Canin Persian 32 Dry. I switched him to Orijen Original and that definitely did not sit well with him, so I decided to move him to raw.