Into A Carrier?

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's my dilemma. A couple of months ago, I adopted a rescue cat (4 years old) who, the previous year, had been rescued when she was thrown from a car! She was with the rescue group for a year (in a large cage) and rather unadoptable because she was so fearful and would not interact with people. My vet works with the rescue group and boards their cats, and she recommended that I bring home my (now wonderful) Molly Brown.

She came home with me, and after a slow start (she hid for over 2 weeks), she has become a total love! She sleeps cuddled next to me and loves to be in my lap anytime I'm sitting and watching TV. But here's the problem. If I try to hold her, she becomes wild--scary wild--and vanishes. The only reason I've tried to hold her is that I anticipate some future time when for a trip to the vet or for her own safety in an emergency, I would need to get her in a carrier (I have several).

I have a mobile vet who comes to the house, but she only does routine procedures. Her advice is that if she's coming, I close my girl in the bathroom because the vet and her assistant can manage taking her out.

Anyone have any ideas how I can slowly get her to accept being held? From her frantic response, I am sure that being held triggers her feeling of being 'thrown away.' Again, I'm anticipating a time when for her own safety, I may need to pick her up.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Slowly is the key, when you try, do so with one hand and just let her sniff, then back off. Let her get used to that, then very gradually add the second hand. You've made huge strides with her coming on to your lap. Give it time and you'll find she will relax about the hands, then you'll be able to move into the arena of picking her up.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Ruby, who I adopted from a shelter 4 years ago, is a snuggle bug and loves napping in my lap or sleeping beside me in bed.

But she HATES being picked up or restrained in ANY WAY. She will squirm and struggle to get down. She won't vanish like your Molly Brown, but she definitely doesn't enjoy it. And it's not gotten much better over the 4 years. So I can't help you there.

But I did post my vet's suggestion for getting cats in their cat carrier in this thread: Help Getting A Cat In A Carrier For A Trip To The Vet! There's some other suggestions as well, so maybe you'll find one that will work with Molly Brown.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Slowly is the key, when you try, do so with one hand and just let her sniff, then back off. Let her get used to that, then very gradually add the second hand. You've made huge strides with her coming on to your lap. Give it time and you'll find she will relax about the hands, then you'll be able to move into the arena of picking her up.
I guess I wasn't clear. She has no problem with my hands cuddling her or petting her. Sometimes when she curls into my lap, she actually moves my arms around her, so that I'm holding her. It's when I make any movement to actually 'hold' her that she bolts immediately and frantically.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Ruby, who I adopted from a shelter 4 years ago, is a snuggle bug and loves napping in my lap or sleeping beside me in bed.

But she HATES being picked up or restrained in ANY WAY. She will squirm and struggle to get down. She won't vanish like your Molly Brown, but she definitely doesn't enjoy it. And it's not gotten much better over the 4 years. So I can't help you there.

But I did post my vet's suggestion for getting cats in their cat carrier in this thread: Help Getting A Cat In A Carrier For A Trip To The Vet! There's some other suggestions as well, so maybe you'll find one that will work with Molly Brown.
Thanks--and I will take a look at that thread. If she would only 'squirm and struggle,' I wouldn't mind because I've always been able to handle a 'reluctant' cat when necessary--but she gets 'wild' and actually bolts from me immediately. As I mentioned, I'm sure it's past trauma.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what that link on carriers says, but basically you just put it out the night before to allow them to get used to it, toss some treats in, then close the door on them. The first time, it is not rocket science. The second time it can get tricky if you have an unusually smart cat, but usually setting it out the night before is sufficient.

If you ever have to have to pick up a difficult cat, you just grab right by the front legs, and that is usually it - not much they can do if you hold on firmly. If they are a true contortionist, you may need to hold by the back legs and keep the stretched out while you carry them. It can be difficult if they get aggressive, but most cats that are evasive are easy enough to handle once gripped. Mind you, a last resort to be sure, since they hate this, but it does work.

So I wouldn't bother trying to train a cat to like being picked up. I'm not even sure it's possible, other than slowly building trust and seeing if that helps.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From all I've read, people have problems getting a cat into a carrier. That has never been a problem for me, and it wouldn't with Molly EXCEPT for the fact that she will not allow me to pick her up--at all.

The carrier I'm currently using is actually a stroller, so my latest plan is to bring it into the kitchen and leave it open, and feed her snacks only in it (she loves her snacks). If she gets used to being 'around' the stroller, I could easily push her into it (without picking her up) in an emergency--which is my sole concern.

And I can be patient. She's actually "Molly Brown" (a friend's suggestion) because she's been such a survivor of abuse, so I know to let her call the shots and just to love her as much as possible.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know what that link on carriers says, but basically you just put it out the night before to allow them to get used to it, toss some treats in, then close the door on them. The first time, it is not rocket science. The second time it can get tricky if you have an unusually smart cat, but usually setting it out the night before is sufficient.

If you ever have to have to pick up a difficult cat, you just grab right by the front legs, and that is usually it - not much they can do if you hold on firmly. If they are a true contortionist, you may need to hold by the back legs and keep the stretched out while you carry them. It can be difficult if they get aggressive, but most cats that are evasive are easy enough to handle once gripped. Mind you, a last resort to be sure, since they hate this, but it does work.

So I wouldn't bother trying to train a cat to like being picked up. I'm not even sure it's possible, other than slowly building trust and seeing if that helps.
I opt for 'slowly building trust.' Your 'method' of grabbing the front legs would not work because I'm sure she'd then bite my hands (she bit one of the techs at the shelter who tried to 'grab' her).

If it were an emergency, and I really needed to hold her, I'd wrap her in a towel.