Intestinal issues

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Thanks again. I just need to find time to get over there.
I am on inderol.
Alright, knowing that is a non-selective BB so it could cause issues elsewhere helps me. BBs, very simply put, act on the sympathetic nervous system causing it to slow down/suppress it at bit. This is why they lower heart rate. The non-selective ones are exactly what they sound like, they affect more areas - your sympathetic nervous system goes all throughout your body, including digestive tract. When working correctly your sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system keep each other in check, baring those moments when one or the other gets "ramped up". When you use a BB to lower the SNS that leave the PNS a bit unchecked - it can oddly cause increased blood pressure in some people, stimulates insulin to be released, and relaxes certain parts of the digestive tract - as well as allowing more blood and oxygen to it.
Relax the sphincters in the digestive tract too much and it messes with digestive time and order a bit, and you get diarrhea or constipation. Sort of simplified that a bit.

If this really is what is happening maybe a different beta blocker or tinkering with the dosage can help - it'll be your doctor's call and if you're willing to try things out. And again, eating things that naturally take longer to digest can help as well.
As I mentioned in the very first post I made, you need to take a look at your blood sugar, too. If your BB is affecting your digestion via the PNS it could be affecting your pancreas. You don't want blood sugar issues, other health problems aside that's one more thing that could become a migraine trigger.

Good luck at your doctor's visit.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M, didn't you say that you drink coffee? Isn't coffee a natural laxative?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

It's mild - from theophylline in it, I think. Chances are common things added to coffee - dairy creamer and sugar would affect a person more than the coffee itself.
I doubt she's drinking coffee in her sleep and hopefully not late in the evening.
But those times would fit with BB half-life well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

It's mild - from theophylline in it, I think. Chances are common things added to coffee - dairy creamer and sugar would affect a person more than the coffee itself.
I doubt she's drinking coffee in her sleep and hopefully not late in the evening.
But those times would fit with BB half-life well.
Originally Posted by crittermom

The 2nd thing I had cut out was the coffee. First it was the creamer I used. Now I use Lactaid milk. Anyway I stopped for two days and no change. I am really thinking it's the BB after what strange_wings posted last. I am hoping to find time to call tomorrow. I already talked to DH and he will take the day off for the visit. He has time to burn.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I tried changing my diet with no changes. I use lactaid milk and use lactaid pills when I have dairy. Nothing seems to be working. Any thoughts?
What was your previous diet?
What is it now?
How long have you made the changes?
All at once, or gradually?