interview

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like they are being unreasonable, but at least you have other options. Good luck on Monday. Consignment shops are another way to get really nice clothes, that's where I usually go. Sometimes they even have the original store tags on.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tigger, I used to hit a really good DAV thrift store, on Apache Blvd. I'm not sure of the cross streets but, it is east of ASU. They had beautiful formal wear and business clothes. Example: I got a velvet-and-sequined evening gown for $3.50. Wonderful prices! The outlet malls, in Casa Grande have good stuff, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have to go to Arizona Mills, since it's closer than Casa Grande. Although, how far is Case Grande from Gilbert? Don't you just take the I-10 straight to the outlets?

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, Tigger. Straight down I-10. The outlets are right at the exits. There's Tanger and one other, that I can't remember the name of.

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tigger, Unless things have changed drastically, the dress code for an interview is always professional. That means a dress or pants suit with a jacket, even if you are not going to dress like that on the job. It's like resumes; even if you scribble your snail mail notes on lined paper, you buy the very best paper and matching envelopes you can possible afford for resumes. The man who wrote "Dress for Success" said when you're looking for work you have to have a professional interview outfit, even if that's the only time you're going to wear it. You can buy it used or at a clearance, but have one in your closet even if it's hot dogs for dinner all that week. I taught this along with writing cover letters and resumes. It pays off. When I worked at the Steinway store, I screened people for the manager. If they came in jeans or if the guys were unshaven, or if anyone came without a resume, he didn't give them an interview. Also, they had to speak English reasonably well.
At another one of the stores, we had an unemployed pastor in the company who said "ain't and youns and "me and him was gonna go together," etc. He dressed impeccably, and carried an expensive briefcase, but I wouldn't have bought a can opener from him. He worked for the company for months and couldn't imagine why he couldn't get a job in his field or sell a piano. I tried to help him in a very kind way, but he was so sure his grammar meant nothing. You obviously don't have this problem! Many people think that language and dress mean nothing, but they give people their first impression of us.