Interrupting Your Morning.....

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:eek: How scary!!! I have 3 special needs people here in my house & an incident like that could be disastrous.
The cleanup must have been very tricky! I hope that the rest of your week goes well.:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
....for a PSA.

If you drop a glass on your granite counter top, the glass will not shatter. It will explode. Trust me. It wasn't pretty.

That is all. Carry on with your morning.
I knew that I found out when we had granite put in.. I meant to email you but got busy cleaning up.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:eek: Oh that's not fun. I was down on the floor with a wet paper towel looking for invisible glass shards the other night.

I discovered a couple years ago that when you do manage to break a Corelle dish it can send pieces pretty far and they are sharp! I think the worst was when my mother's front door was yanked open by the wind and shattered in the landscaping. But when it's in your kitchen your more likely to have barefoot people and pets around! :doh:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Yes that must be scary!! This summer Jon accidentally broke my 1960s Pyrex turquoise and white 2 quart bowls-it fell in the sink and that shattered all over the place! I was more worried he would hurt himself since there were pieces ALL Over the place!!! We don't use glass drinking cups for this reason. And it's because I am a clutz...

You must have jumped 4 feet in the air when that exploded!!! :eek2::eek2::eek2:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I read Furballsmom post #10 on They don't make that any more, They Don't Make That Anymore! Where she talks about Pyrex exploding and links to Consumer Reports on the new Pyrex made in the USA isn't what it once was - it explodes when it gets too hot for one thing. Here is her link
Three Years Later: Pyrex Dishes Still Go Boom

It says it's fine in oven and microwave, but the small print says don't get it all that hot. It's made from soda glass instead of borosilicate that is more shatter proof. Here is one report while I look for the other posting.

Family safety warning: Glass bakeware that shatters

Hope I managed this correctly. It's scary stuff.

Last edited:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This morning, I knocked over a glass bottle of olive oil onto the floor. I was trying to beat the clock to clean it up before leaving work--all with four curious kittens getting in the way. What a MESS! If you ever do this on a tile or vinyl floor, mop up as much as you can with paper towels, get up the glass shards, then mop the floor with straight white vinegar. The vinegar cuts the oily residue.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yesterday I read Furballsmom post #10 on They don't make that any more, They Don't Make That Anymore! Where she talks about Pyrex exploding and links to Consumer Reports on the new Pyrex made in the USA isn't what it once was - it explodes when it gets too hot for one thing. Here is her link
Three Years Later: Pyrex Dishes Still Go Boom

It says it's fine in oven and microwave, but the small print says don't get it all that hot. It's made from soda glass instead of borosilicate that is more shatter proof. Here is one report while I look for the other posting.

Family safety warning: Glass bakeware that shatters

Hope I managed this correctly. It's scary stuff.
When I worked in the restaurant for my club, the kitchen manager keep buying glass pots and baking dishes. The Corningware Visions pots always worried me. They had reputation for exploding back in the day I (and I think they are ugly--that amber color reminds of a heavy smoker's walls). I would tell her this, but she'd keep buying the stuff, and I also had scrub the stupid things (I was also the dishwasher). Glassware is heavy, easy to drop and break. I never saw much use for it in my kitchen, though I do prefer glass mixing bowls that are small to medium in size.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I used to use Corningware Vision for my daily cooking; fortunately, nothing ever exploded on me. But man, they were hard to clean. I got to where I completely stopped using them for noodles, rice, or potatoes because it wasn't worth trying to clean them afterward.

Fortunately on Sunday when I dropped the glass, all the cats were snoozing in the living room and The Beast was lying under the kitchen table. I immediately pointed to her and said, "Room!" and she got up and went into the living room and I shut the gate. She probably thought she was being punished and couldn't figure out why. But I couldn't have her come over to me and cut her paws and she can be really nosy sometimes. I cleaned the shards up, then took a wet paper towel over the counter and the floor. A good sweep with the broom. Did several vacuums. Man, I found glass under the fridge, under the stove. It was a mess. It simply exploded. Everywhere!

That's the second glass I've broken (exploded?) since we installed the granite.

K Kflowers The old Pyrex is still simply an outstanding value. The new stuff? Not so much and I won't buy for the reasons you mentioned. I have a lot of Mom's old Pyrex casseroles and you will pry them from my cold, dead hands. Wonderful stuff. Another good bakeware is Fiesta. It's made in the USA. While it's heavier than what a lot of people are used to, it's great in the oven. I love Fiesta.

I don't know how many people are familiar with QVC and their Temp-tations bakeware. It's really bad stuff. People keep talking about how it crazes, even without using it, and several people mentioned that they were taking a casserole of food out of the oven and the casserole split in half. I can only imagine what a mess that was. I stay away from that brand, too. It's not safe.

Last edited: