Interrupting a book...

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know if this should be in this thread or the literary one but I'll try posting it here. Have you ever stopped reading a book and started a new one knowing you will go back to the first book after reading the new one, does that make sense
hopefully it does.

I had started a Belva Plain book but then my library emailed me and told me the book I had on hold James Patterson's latest I' Alex Cross was ready for pickup. I picked up the book and since it was on hold, you didn't have the same amout of time to read it sooooo I stopped reading the first one and began reading the JP book. Patterson's books are fast reading and I am almost done with it already, this is the first time I ever interrupted a book to read another.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do it all of the time for the same reason you just mentioned. I also like to bring a book with me when I go out, but if I'm nearly finished the book, rather than bringing that one and a new one, I'll just bring the new one and then finish reading the other one over the next couple of nights.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, I do that too. Especially if the book I'm putting down has reached a slow/boring part...

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes, I do it as well. If I can't get into a book within about the first 20 pages or so I will usually not bother and start a new one. Luckily this doesn't happen too often however. I'm usually very good at picking books that will interest me.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do it all the time. More likely I will be reading two or more books concurrently. Whatever mood I'm in is the one I pick up.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I may well have three books going at once. I'm kind of moody, and sometimes a book I'm on will clash with my current mood and irritate me so I'll dig up one I've read before and know will fit the current mood. Then something in that reminds me of another book, or I find one at the thrift store that I can't wait to start and I'm on a third. I can only think of one book I didn't eventually go back to. It was written under a pen name by an author I liked, but by the time the city bus reached down town I realized it was a totally different genre.
Thankful that no one sitting near me looked as if they read English I dropped it in the first trash bin I found.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't normally interrupt books, but I have been reading Tolstoy's War and Peace and have had to interrupt it several times

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can read more than one book. However there are a few things that don't mix as well in a short period - non-fiction, particularly science or computer/software related. If on the same subjects it can be confusing as to what I read where.

With fiction if I can't get into it I won't read the rest of it. Too much to read to waste time.

penstemon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read mostly fiction as I use reading for relaxation and not to learn something.
I will read a few pages before checking out or buying a book. A good one is one I must finished before lying it down. I like mysteries and usually have one around to read I have a few books that I will read when I need confort, usually when I am depressed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CATTYBIRD

Nope, I don't like to stop reading one book to start reading another. I want to get through reading the one I started.
I am the same way, this is the very first time I have interrupted a book to read another. I don't have that good a memory to read more than one book at a time