Interrupted Labour

Karen b72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi can anyone help. My cat went into labour this morning, she had what seemed like her waters break but then over a hour later still nothing but we heard squeaks and the babies face was hanging out but very dry. She delivered 10 minutes later but sadly after 20 mins the little baby died.. she has stopped contracting but you can clearly see that there are more inside cos moving around a lot.. she is not in any pain and has got up had food and a poop... could this be interrupted labour?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's normal for there to be delays between kittens, sometimes hours or even days. She will have the others when her body is ready.

So sorry the first kitten did not make it.

Let us know how the rest goes! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Karen b72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank u so much. I have been in such a state. I have another cat who has 2 week old kittens and at the moment she is laying with them purring her head off x

Karen b72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So belle has just delivered baby number 2 but again no sack and sadly baby has passed away.... why are they not coming out in sacks ?? They seem to be getting stuck

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that is odd. Do you have access to an experienced vet whom you can phone and ask? This here MAY be one of the cases, where its best to make a cesarean asap. Not to save moms life - if she seems OK and the deliveries not too difficult, she will manage, but the kittens delivered without sack and dying soon after is worrying...

I mean, there are many causes why kittens may die in times of delivery, some we cant help, some we can sometimes help. If a cesarean will help??

For a breeder this isnt much to think about. Its necessary to try and save the kittens - and the momma, of course.

So belle has just delivered baby number 2 but again no sack and sadly baby has passed away.... why are they not coming out in sacks ?? They seem to be getting stuck
For an average citizen it it a more difficult situation. Economically speaking, a cesarean costs more than a spaying. But she will be spayed anyway. And the vet usually spay a home moggie simultaneously with the cesarean. So part of the cost will be saved.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The sac frequently breaks in the birth canal on the way out, but as long as the kitten is born quickly there is no problem.

It sounds like the kittens were too long without oxygen in the birth canal. It's hard to know why mom was not able to push them out sooner.

I'm so sorry it happened again. Does she appear to have more kittens inside?

Karen b72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No I don't think so. I'm ringing the vets in the morning about getting her done. She is very calm and laying with the other kittens at the mo. She still has a clear odourless water coming from her lady garden. I'm not sure if this is the remains of the sack fluid due to the bursting inside her

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's unusual to have the water flowing out now. Can you get her seen tomorrow? I think she needs a checkup right away.