Interrupted labour of 40 hours, and still at least another kitten left

veravera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

My cat gave birth to one kitten a few days ago, then for 40 hours didn't go into labour again. Yesterday she finally had 3 more kittens, and since then nothing. But I can feel at least another one in there. Is it normal to have TWO interruptions in labour, and such long ones?

She's caring for her kittens, eating and drinking, and looks otherwise fine. Is it possible she doesn't know there's another kitten still? Is it heard of for a cat to just never birth some of her kittens?

Last time she gave birth to 5 at once and the 6th a few hours later.

Thank you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Double pauses not common, but I think not unheard of.

As long as she is OK, not troubles, no fever, happily busing herself with her already born kittens, you can probably wait and see.  Although be vigilant of course.  The situation is touchy.

Her nursing and taking care of the delivered kittens is by itself a positive sign.  Very often they dont manage to do it, if they arent done with the delivery - ie feeling unwell.

How are the kittens looking, and doing?  Was the first premature, or did he seemed full made, full term?  All haired over, and decently round?

Do you know their weight at birth?

(its always wise to weigh them, preferably in grammes, especielly if you expect problems).

These pauses may be by two main reasons:   1: the first one is premature (hopefully not but it happens), but the rest are coming out in their proper time.

2.  They were conceived at different matings, perhaps a couple days apart.    Some experts tells it shouldnt happen, all eggs are lossened at once, but still, it apparently happens now and then...    And mother nature balances it often, but sorrowfully not always, by these pauses in delivery.

OK, to the question. HOW sure are you there is one left?  Its quite often people think it is one left, while it is the swollen uterus they feel.   Quite common forumists write here in full panic asking what to do.   As luck, is, the standard answer is, if she is OK, not troubles, they shall be observant, but can wait and see.

BUT if there ARE any noticeable problems, they shall asap contact their vet.

We had even forumsts, who were sure they felt a kitten move.  But days went, no kitten, and no more anything.  I think this forumist even went to her vet with this mom.

It must have been some gases moving aroung in the tummy...

If you arent real expert on palpation, its very easy to take wrong...

OK, end of this message, I think.

Please come back with reports, and further questions if you need or wish.

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

veravera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your detailed answer.

Perhaps I didn't feel a kitten after all. I didn't feel anything move, but Vera still looks bigger than usual and a little round. Maybe that's just the swelling (last time she flattened out pretty quickly, so I expected the same this time). 

The kittens look fine. The third one was born dead, but all the others are active, furry, and have round bellies full of milk. Interestingly, the first one that was born early did not look bigger than the rest when they were born. I do not know their weight.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you for your detailed answer.

Perhaps I didn't feel a kitten after all. I didn't feel anything move, but Vera still looks bigger than usual and a little round. Maybe that's just the swelling (last time she flattened out pretty quickly, so I expected the same this time). 

The kittens look fine. The third one was born dead, but all the others are active, furry, and have round bellies full of milk. Interestingly, the first one that was born early did not look bigger than the rest when they were born. I do not know their weight.
She could have conceived them at different times.

I would bet there is no more babies, sometimes they tend to seem big still, not flattened out yet as they do after birthing.

Congrats!!