Interrupted labor?

shugercube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I recently took in a pregnant stray. I wasn't sure how far along, but she was obviously very pregnant, and I could see movement in her belly when she would lay down. This was about a week ago.

Anyway, she gave birth to a single kitten under our couch yesterday morning. My son heard the new baby and came and got me, and we looked with a flashlight. I sat with her the rest of the day, and checked on her frequently, but no more kittens came.

She still has a huge belly and I'm 99% certain I can still feel little kicks (although I suppose it could be gas/bowels twitching?). She does not appear to be in active labor or distressed. Somewhat increased breathing, but no panting, no straining, tummy is soft, she's very relaxed and eating and drinking, although I had to slide the bowls under the couch for her to take it- she wouldn't come out to eat. Taking good care of the single baby, and hasn't left from under the couch at all that I've seen (possibly overnight while I slept).

I've read they can "pause" labor up to three days, is this what's happening? Did we scare her when we checked with the flashlight, and now she's stopped things? Our local vet doesn't have any openings for almost 2 weeks! Is this an emergency vet situation, or a wait and see situation? I'm keeping very close watch over her, but still concerned. Any advice is appreciated!

And just for added information, the plan is to spay her and kitten(s) after she weans and then hopefully rehome everyone. I will keep mama if I can't find her a good home, as I know it's harder to find homes for older cats. But preference is to find her another good family to stay with forever. My current cats aren't too pleased with her presence 😅.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi all, I recently took in a pregnant stray. I wasn't sure how far along, but she was obviously very pregnant, and I could see movement in her belly when she would lay down. This was about a week ago.

Anyway, she gave birth to a single kitten under our couch yesterday morning. My son heard the new baby and came and got me, and we looked with a flashlight. I sat with her the rest of the day, and checked on her frequently, but no more kittens came.

She still has a huge belly and I'm 99% certain I can still feel little kicks (although I suppose it could be gas/bowels twitching?). She does not appear to be in active labor or distressed. Somewhat increased breathing, but no panting, no straining, tummy is soft, she's very relaxed and eating and drinking, although I had to slide the bowls under the couch for her to take it- she wouldn't come out to eat. Taking good care of the single baby, and hasn't left from under the couch at all that I've seen (possibly overnight while I slept).

I've read they can "pause" labor up to three days, is this what's happening? Did we scare her when we checked with the flashlight, and now she's stopped things? Our local vet doesn't have any openings for almost 2 weeks! Is this an emergency vet situation, or a wait and see situation? I'm keeping very close watch over her, but still concerned. Any advice is appreciated!

And just for added information, the plan is to spay her and kitten(s) after she weans and then hopefully rehome everyone. I will keep mama if I can't find her a good home, as I know it's harder to find homes for older cats. But preference is to find her another good family to stay with forever. My current cats aren't too pleased with her presence 😅.
YOu can wait and see, this is not emergency.

How is the situation now? sorry, its several hours after you wrote this post.

situation is as you self hope for: as long she isnt in visible distress, you can wait and seee. observe closely, it can quickly change into a touchy situation.
But either she is done - it MAY be gases moving. Or more will come soon enough.

How does the born kitten looks? Hairy and well done? Had you weighted it in grammes?

Is momma happily busying herself with taking care of the little one?

Im clear for now.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

shugercube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

situation is as you self hope for: as long she isnt in visible distress, you can wait and seee. observe closely, it can quickly change into a touchy situation.

How does the born kitten looks? Hairdy and well done? Had you weighted it in grammes?

Im clear for now.

shugercube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

How does the born kitten looks? Hairdy and well done? Had you weighted it in grammes?

Im clear for now.
Apologies, I hit post before I'd typed anything!

Kitten is doing great, I was not able to reach under the couch yesterday to grab her, but I weighed her today at 123g. She has a great appetite and a nice full tummy!

I was able to lure mama out from the couch and put her and baby into her kittening box, where I can keep them away from the other cats. They are both doing well, mama is snuggling, nursing, grooming, and stimulating the kitten as expected. She leaves the box for quick moments to eat/drink/use the littler box, but quickly returns to her baby.
I'm offering mama some KMR in a bowl for added nutrients once a day, in addition to dry kitten kibble available 24/7 and a small can of wet food once a day. Does that all sound right?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, but you might offer wet food more often. She needs the nutrients if more babies are to come (which is entirely possible) and for nursing if she has more.

shugercube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, but you might offer wet food more often. She needs the nutrients if more babies are to come (which is entirely possible) and for nursing if she has more.
That's easy enough! Would you recommend twice, or three times daily?

shugercube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mama has a bit of pink-tinged slimy looking discharge (idk how to describe it, not thick like a mucus plug, but looks stretchy? Lol like she had a thin "string" of it hanging down before she cleaned herself up). Not sure if it's just normal afterbirth discharge, or maybe bloody show signaling she is about to go back into labor soon? Still not acting like she's in any distress, but maybe a tad on the clingy side? She seems to want my attention and pets. I'm not an expert at palpating by any means, but there certainly seems to still be at least one more kitten- today I could feel a firm bulge- felt like possibly a head, and it definitely shifted against my hand as I was feeling around. I guess time will tell!

Kitten still seems to be doing well- 130g today. I think that's a tad less than expected, but I also am not sure whether she had just fed or not when I weighed her yesterday, and I assume that could leave some wiggle room. She certainly seems content, she doesn't cry, only when I take her to weigh her lol.

shugercube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well! She suddenly got restless and mewling, and I thought "THIS IS IT, SHE'S HAVING THE REST OF HER BABIES!"

... she just had to poop 😅🤣

shugercube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hang in there!
I think we might be back in action! I'm pretty sure I'm seeing contractions every few minutes now, for about 45 minutes so far. She's restless, can't decide where she wants to be- in her box, under a chair, on the bed, under the bed... it's about 20 til midnight now, wondering if we'll have a baby before the night is over 😬

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does sound like she may be in labor again. She is probably in pain. Follow her lead and offer comfort and assurance. I hope all goes well and keep us updated.

shugercube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It does sound like she may be in labor again. She is probably in pain. Follow her lead and offer comfort and assurance. I hope all goes well and keep us updated.
Thank you! I'm anxious for her, I've been there done that, and know it's not fun! Nothing yet, I hope it doesn't drag out too long for her.

shugercube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, bit of a sad update, second kitten was stillborn. Things got touchy and I drove to emergency vet, which is an hour away. She delivered on the way, and I tried to revive it to no avail. It just was too far of a drive I suppose. Confirmed there are no more kittens inside, so she just has the one she birthed a few days ago. Both are doing well.

Thank you all for the advice.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are taking excellent care of this cat and her kitten. She is very lucky to have found you and your son.
Excellent news!

If you wish kitten not to be alone kitten, you can try for some foster.
Ask vets around, or even shelters around.

The only you must look up with, these fosterling must be reasonably healthy. You dont want to draw some disease on your residents.
Feks, if momma of fosterlings died from some contagious disease.

Also, if a shelter isnt well managed, it by itself becomes easy a source of diseases.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. I notice your resident was a preg stray.
It depends a little how long she was a stray. Some few days, or several months, or even born semiferale??

IF she survived alone outside, her immune system should be above average... These with weakish immune system perish quite soon... Survival of the fittest, literally...

So, you decide IF and WHAT fosterlings you will think about...