Interrupted Labor Question!

Jdahl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So My cat Mia or Momma Mia as we call her now had 4 kittens 2 days ago. She started resting and tending to her babies normally and everything is all good with her. BUT we still feel one more kitten moving around and it bulges sometimes in her stomach depending on where Momma lays. But today she’s been persistent on getting to a new spot in the house and acts slightly irritated when we touch her tummy to see if the baby is still active. Could she have experienced interrupted labor and now is trying to nest again to give birth to the last one?or could the last baby be from a second litter that wasn’t ready to be born yet? Again she’s been giving no signs of stress and she’s resting contently and eating and drinking but just no labor again. There was only one dad too! TIA

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Do you have a vet you can speak with?

Is she letting the kittens nurse? If not, you will need to supplement feed them. If the kittens are piled up and sleeping, they are content and fed. If they're crawling around and crying, you'll need to step in, and also help them stay warm too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jdahl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cats are nursing well! The vet didn’t really let me get a word in to explain anything and just went to the worst outcome. I didn’t get to explain that she’s been calm and happy and all that good stuff. So the vet didn’t really help

Jdahl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet said the kitten is probably stuck in the birth canal and they need an X-ray to make sure there’s no more kittens. If the cat was stuck in the birth canal 1. My cat would not be happy right now 2. I wouldn’t be able to feel the kitten where it is. The kitten is up high by her ribs/ mid belly. But like I said I didn’t get to really explain anything to the vet. They just cut me off and I’m guessing assumed what was going on. Frustrating beyond belief but I’ve heard of cats going 3 days before giving birth to the rest of the litter just didn’t know if this was that situation

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think if I were you, I would take her in so the vet can check her just to be on the safe side, but if not, be sure and keep monitoring, which I know you will :)

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So My cat Mia or Momma Mia as we call her now had 4 kittens 2 days ago. She started resting and tending to her babies normally and everything is all good with her. BUT we still feel one more kitten moving around and it bulges sometimes in her stomach depending on where Momma lays. But today she’s been persistent on getting to a new spot in the house and acts slightly irritated when we touch her tummy to see if the baby is still active. Could she have experienced interrupted labor and now is trying to nest again to give birth to the last one?or could the last baby be from a second litter that wasn’t ready to be born yet? Again she’s been giving no signs of stress and she’s resting contently and eating and drinking but just no labor again. There was only one dad too! TIA
The safe route, "both belt and suspenders" is to let the vet do a x-ray + examination. But as it sounds she is OK, no visible troubles. If I understand you correctly.

In such situation, our usual advice and most vets, is to observe but wait and see...

Because pauses arent uncommon, sometimes even several days, as you youself tell.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Eh, this happens frequently. Cats can go days between deliveries, primarily because they tend to mate over multiple days while in heat. So the remaining kitten may have been conceived a few days later and not quite ready to be born.

Since your cat seems okay, I would skip the vet for now, and give your cat time. If she’s restless, she may be going into labor again soon.

J Jdahl

Jdahl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is still happy! She’s coming out and roaming more when all the kittens are sleeping. She’s a cry ally licking her gentitals more tonight and she seems to be trying to nest in a different spot so she maybe getting ready. If she doesn’t give birth by tomorrow, she’s going to the vet before they close.

Jdahl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no kitten or kittens! But we seen her stomach bulge and move but not as active as the other kittens were! But she’s active and happy still! She was catching flies today and playing while the babies slept! I’m guessing since her and our cat Tom did the dirty til he decided to run away two weeks ago, it could be part of a second litter kitten