Internet Problems(kind of ventish)

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am in Canada right now visiting my girl and everything is going very very well except I am really worried about her relationship with her family. Her parents don't know I am here and my girl has to call about 3-4 times a day to check in, which at 30 years old I find a little nuts. When she is on the phone I have to be silent because she refused to tell her parents I was there. And the other day I got her a new laptop and her brother won't give her the password to hook up her new computer to the network. And of course she won't tell him that she got a new lap top because then he will want to know where she got it and she won't tell him I gave it to her. It almost feels as if she is ashamed of me but she tells her friends about me so she's not, its really her parents. Anyway if any of you know how to decript the password to the network so we can get the new laptop hooked up let me know. I would like to do this with out hacking there system and I already tried to search via IP Address and I got her IP address but it wouldn't let me go to the IP page, it redirected me to a google search for the IP addy which my friend said means that her brother has the network protected from that.

chawknz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are a few problems that you will face.

The first is that it's clear there's a password required to connect the computer to the laptop. Depending on what encryption is being used, you will either have no chance of breaking it, or if it's a week encryption, you might have a chance, but it's still going to be very difficult to do.

If you were able to access the router's configuration page, it is very likely that too will be password protected. Aside from trying to guess the password, there will be no way you can access the setup page.

Your only real option is to reset the router to factory defaults and set it back up with information you provide. Of course by doing that, you'll blow your cover and questions will start being asked as to why things were changed.

To sum things up, if he's using WPA2 , you're pretty much out of luck. If he is using WEP, you may have a better chance and using google to search for ways to access WEP will be your best bet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks

I am really hoping not to have to reset everything. If all else fails I will strap her brother down to a chair and beat it out of him. I am thinking it might be it was only a 5 or 6(I don't remember the exact number) digit password when we looked up the encrypted one so there are only about 5^26 different combinations to try.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by algebrapro18

Thanks

I am really hoping not to have to reset everything. If all else fails I will strap her brother down to a chair and beat it out of him. I am thinking it might be it was only a 5 or 6(I don't remember the exact number) digit password when we looked up the encrypted one so there are only about 5^26 different combinations to try.
Can't the passwords have numbers too? That would make the combination worse than 5^26...
Good luck.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am talking to Glyn right now and here is what he says.
Glyn says: (3:14:34 PM)
If - and I do mean, if - her network is connected to a router, and IF she is talking about trying to get the wireless key, what I am writing may help.
1) She'd need to know the make and model of the router.

2)
Using the internet, we can check what the IP address the router is on the local network and what the default username and password is for the router.
3) Once we've done that, she can use that information to go into the router settings and check to see what the wireless key is - and then she can use that key to gain access to the router without her parents or whoever finds out.
Any other passwords I can't help her with.
But she has to understand to get the information about the router key, she has to go onto a computer that is already on the network. Obviously, this means that if the computer is password protected, she can't access it - and of course, there is the element of possibly being caught. Sorry... one more thing... please can you add that all that I have said is assuming that the default username and password has NOT been changed!

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am on her network now and I have the ip address but when I try to get access to the router it does a google search instead of bringing up the router page.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Just a general note to everyone - as far as I can see, this isn't the case, but please make sure you do not provide any information about how to do anything illegal, such as hacking into a computer network. Obviously, posting instructions about such things is strictly forbidden.

BTW, a personal query, and you don't have to answer of course, but just wondering how come a 30 years old woman has issues with telling her family that she has a new laptop of her own (can't she just say she bought one?).

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I feel the same way. Her parents know I exist but thats pretty much it...and we are trying to get into the home wireless network with her new computer. Her parents know that she doesn't have the money she needs for a new computer, I got it for her, which is really where the issue comes in. I am about ready to get her brother in a choke hold because their is no reason to keep the password from her. Its not like she is going to post it all over the internet, she is going to use it to get onto the network.

We did get her laptop onto the internet but not wirelessly, we ran a Ethernet cable from her old lap top(which is on the network) and ran that into the new laptop and it worked. So its on the net just not the way she wanted it to be.