International Travel - Please HELP!

nekoha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, all!
I am bringing my cats to Tokyo from the US in about 3 weeks, finally! I am excited and scared witless at the same time.
Here is what I plan to do - anyone with experience, suggestions, help - please post!
First of all, my cats have been at my mom's house for the past 2.5 years. I know that they are not going to be terribly happy to see me again, as I am pretty much a stranger to them now. I did visit last year, and it took about 1 hour for them to start following me around everywhere, rubbing against me, and they slept with me every night I was there. My mom also noted that they acted depressed when I left without them, but I am not sure about that, as I wasn't there to see it myself! My husband hasn't seen them in almost 3 years, so they will definitely have trouble adjusting to him again, I think. So, we are going to stay at my mom's for 2 weeks to (hopefully) get them used to us again!
I have taken care of all of the requirements for getting the cats out of the US and into Japan (microchipping, vaccines, quarantines, etc) and the USDA has already looked over the paperwork and told us that it is correctly filled out, so that part is only slightly daunting now. Our landlord knows that we will be bringing the cats, the deposit is paid, and we have gotten litter boxes, litter, food bowls, scratch pads, perches, and even found a vet.
I will bring their food with me to Japan (they are on prescription food for a urinary problem that my older cat has), but I already know that there is no problem in getting that exact food here. The vet that I spoke to this weekend was very knowledgeable about my cat's condition, and told me that all her feline patients with that condition were on this diet, too.
Now, for the problem - I am scared about the flight!! They will not be flown cargo, they will be in-cabin with me and my husband, but...
As I am from a small town in the US, there is no direct flight to Tokyo. My husband and I have to fly on a small plane to Washington DC, then catch a flight to Tokyo. Unfortunately, those small planes only allow one pet in the cabin per flight, so my husband and I will be on different flights to DC. That worries me, partly because my cats are never separated, and partly because my husband feels uncomfortable knowing that he will have to wait in DC with the cat until I get there. From DC, we will fly to Tokyo together. I got aisle seats for us so that we won't have to climb over anyone if we have to take the cat to the bathroom (in case of diarrhea, etc). My vet in my hometown has suggested using Rescue Remedy, and my mom has been giving it to them in their water for about a month now. I will have them harnessed to go through security (something most websites suggest), and I will line their carriers with disposable "diapers". I will take the Rescue Remedy with me to administer directly as needed, too. Other than that, what should/can I do? Both cats are TERRIBLE travelers. It has been a very difficult decision for me to bring them to Japan, but my vet has strongly encouraged it for multiple reasons. I sincerely hope that what I am doing is the right thing for my babies and that they will settle into our new home soon, but I am very apprehensive of this flight.
Any advice will be appreciated greatly!