International flights

wintermelon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am moving overseas and need to fly my cats with me from Toronto (Canada) to Hong Kong (China). I currently have 2 options:
  • Direct flight (16 hour flight) via Cathay Pacific Cargo
  • One stop midway in Amsterdam at an Animal Hotel via KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
Which would be less stressful for the cats? The stop at the pet hotel means they will be fed, watered, can use the litterbox and have their carriers cleaned (if soiled).

But I'm not sure if I want to take the increased risk of them getting on and off the plane multiple times. Would a 16 hour flight (plus maybe 1-2 hours waiting on both ends to load/ unload) be too long and stressful?

Additionally I am not sure of the reputation of either airlines with handling animals. All I have to go off of is their websites. Both of them do state that they have professionals handling the animals and caring staff yada yada.

KLM http://www.af-klm.com/cargo/portalb2b/275#Live+Pets

KLM also stated that they were the first airline to transport live animals https://www.klm.com/corporate/en/about-klm/information-school-talks/animal-transport.html

Cathay's website http://www.cathaypacificcargo.com/Default.aspx?tabid=604

Would love to hear your thoughts. What would you choose and why?

Last edited:

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There-are-a-good-number-of-exhibitors-that-fly-to-shows-with-their-kitties,so-I-pick-up-bits-of-information-over-time.The-last-show-I-was-at,the-man-next-to-me,flew-in,some-of-the-things-I-remember-that-he-said.

You-never-want-to-put-them-in-the-cargo-hold,its-neither-air-conditioned-or-heated.Some-airlines-won't-fly-animals,put-in-the-cargo-hold,during-some-months-of-the-year-for-that-very-reason.To-much-risk-of-something-happening-or-the-kitty-getting-loose,with-mulitiple-people-handling-the-carrier,and-they-could-sit-on-the-tarmac-too-long,as-they-are-handled-like-baggage.

If-there-is-a-layover,you-risk-the-kitty-not-being-transfered-to-the-right-flight,just-like-your-baggage,and-again,the-kitty-is-sitting-too-long-in-the-cargo-hold,or-on-the-tarmac,and-again,too-many-people-handling-the-carrier.

When-they-fly-to-shows,they-put-them-in-a-carrier-under-their-seat.They-put-newspaper-or-wee-wee-pads-under-the-towel,in-case-of-accidents.They-do-not-feed-them,kitty-could-get-an-upset-tummy,water-I-don't-remember.They-travel-with-a-harness-that-has-ID-tags,your-name/number,chip-tag,rabies-tag.

You-still-have-to-take-them-out-of-the-carrier,and-walk-thru-the-detector-thingy,you-carry-them.They-have-a-harness-and-leash,just-in-case.

You-will-need-a-health-certificate,within-the-last-30-days,their-shot-records,rabies-certificate,and-any-other-pertanint-health-records.Altho,he-said,nobody-ever-checks,but-best-to-have-them-in-case.

I-know-exhibitors-fly-internationally-too,to-shows,so-will-put-up-a-post-on-the-cat-show-board,asking-for-information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wintermelon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Flint for your detailed input, and thank you for posting on the cat show exhibitors forum for me - much appreciated.

I have been trying my hardest to avoid cargo flying but Hong Kong only accepts live animals via cargo so I cannot take them in-cabin. Otherwise I would have them travel by car/ train no matter what.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
How soon are you planning to move? I hope you have time to get all the permits you need.

It looks like this is the official website with the rules and regulations.
http://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/quarantine/qua_ie/qua_ie_ipab/qua_ie_ipab_idc/qua_ie_ipab_idc.html

This one gives you the same basic information condensed and a little easier to read.
http://gohongkong.about.com/od/travelplanner/a/Pet_Hong_Kong.htm

You'll need to get a permit to import your kitties to Hong Kong. It looks like there is no quarantine required when bringing animals from Canada as long as you have documentation that they've been vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days in advance.

Once you decide on the airline you'll need to contact them for specific rules. Some airlines require a vet certificate of health signed no less than 10 days before the flight.

The cargo space for live animals is climate controlled, but there still may be weather-related restrictions. Again, check with the specific airline. Some will only fly animals at certain times of the year. Others restrict it according to the ground temperature at either end, either too hot or too cold.

You'll also need to check the airline regulations for the specific type of kennel you need. Generally it has to be a hard-sided carrier with openings on at least 2 sides for ventilation. You may or may not be able to put both cats in the same carrier.

I'll try to contact someone I know who frequently flies cats internationally to see if I can get any more specific information.

wintermelon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Goldy thank you so much for looking up all the info for me, they are very helpful.

I have the Hong Kong permit ready and know all the requirements I need for export from Canada. Was complicated at first but they are now mostly all set besides the micro-chip + health certificate since it has to be timed within 14 days before the flight.

I am booking through a pet transportation company and those were the choices we have, since Air Canada places an embargo on all live animal transport in the summer months and I need to move before the end of August. They did recommend KLM over direct flight (it is cheaper by $500 too). But I thought I would ask for more info and opinions nevertheless.

I'm just in a limbo weighing in between the stress of travel (16 hours vs constantly changing environment getting on and off multiple times) and the reputation of airlines with pets. It seems like the way the airline handles animals would be an important factor - hopefully more experienced staff in loading and unloading, captains who are aware of animals in cargo and are on top of the climate control in there, better paid ramp employees who won't treat them as luggage etc. It might outweigh the stress factor if I know they are in good hands, but a good chunk of it is unknown and still a risk.

abymummy1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Seasoned cat exhibitor here.  You have NO CHOICE but to put them into cargo, it is an AFCD requirement.  You want the direct flight with CX. Both airlines are very good with handling animals but it is better for the cats to go in one flight instead of stressing out in 2 or more.

It's really quite simple for you to get the cats there, all you need is the following :

1.  Updated vaccination records (min 3 in 1 and rabies) must be more than 30 days but not exceeding one year

2.  Microchip

3.  HK AFCD Import Permit

4.  Get the VC-DC2 filled in by your vet AND endorsed by the Canadian Veterinary Authority (can't remember the name, my cats aren't coming from Canada until September/October)

If you really have everything ready, you don't need a pet agent, just get in touch with Cathay Pacific cargo.... they are usually very helpful.

Please be aware that currently NO AIRLINE flying out of Canada will allow cats in cargo .... it is too hot.  You'll probably will have to wait until September like me.

Edited to add:

Cathay Pacific will NOT Ship flat faced animals (cats and dogs), so if your cats are Persians or Exotics or is even remotely flat faced, you wont have a choice but to use KLM.

Last edited:

wintermelon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Abymummy, thank you so very much. It means a lot to hear from somebody else with the same experience. I will give CX cargo a call.

Yep I checked with CFIA's animal health office in Mississauga and they will be able to do the government vet endorsement part after I get my vet to fill in the health certificate. Also checked with HK AFCD on the microchip - originally had problems finding vets who do the AVID chip here and HK AFCD confirmed that ISO is accepted too, phew.

Guess the only thing left to do is to get the IATA approved crates (was originally going to have them shipped to me by the pet agent).

My cats are just regular domestic short hair, but thanks for the heads-up on the breed issue, and the heat restriction. I was worried about that too and it is indeed very hot here in Toronto.

Anyway thank you again for your note, you have no idea how you have eased my mind!

Last edited:

abymummy1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're very welcome.  I know shipping to HK can sound intimidating but it isn't really, as long as your paperwork is in order.

If your cats are just "normal" (haha) sized shorthairs, Vari Kennel size 2 should be sufficient.  Look for the SCREW on, not clip on crates.  You can just buy that online :)  Make sure you attach food and water bowls (try teaching them to use the water bottle, it's easier). 

Good Luck!