Interesting visitor this evening - a snake!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie wanted to go down the cellar this evening. I let him go down, only to hear him hissing and jumping around. I ran down to investigate, and found that a big fat brown snake had somehow pushed aside the screen and come in through the window! Not one that I recognized, either, since we only have small snakes around here. I managed to get it into a cat carrier, using a broom, and called the police. They came, and didn't recognize it as anything "native", and said they checked and there were no reports of a missing pet snake. The female officer said she thought it might be a python (I looked on the Web, and I think she's right).They took it with them, and said somebody will take it to the zoo tomorrow. Naturally, that had to happen while my husband was at work. He going to have to fix the screen tomorrow - that shook me up. The snake looked big enough to eat Jamie!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Sam, after growing up in North America, I only worry about poisonous snakes. My brother had a boa for years, so I'm not scared of snakes. It was just unsettling to see something that big in our cellar here. We're still discussing which of the families in the neighborhood would be likely to have a pet python, and why it would come into the cellar. I'm assuming it couldn't have traveled very far. I think it'll be a couple of weeks before I open the cellar windows, though.

cilla

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How frightening that must have been. Neither you or JamieCat are going to want to go in the cellar again for a while. I would have been really terrified.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, I can't get Jamie back upstairs. He's been sitting in front of the window in the cellar for over four hours, waiting for the snake to come back, I suppose!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Actually, I can't get Jamie back upstairs. He's been sitting in front of the window in the cellar for over four hours, waiting for the snake to come back, I suppose!
Hmmm...long and wriggly...even if he didn't REALLY want to play with it, I'll bet his curiosity was piqued!

Fawn likes long and wriggly, too, but all we have around here are worms-- which she looooooooooves -- wonder what she'd do with a snake. I don't think I'll ask her.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my! Sasha likes to bite heads off mice and hunt for worms and swat at the frogs on the front door when it's muggy at night, but this snake! Wow-- yeah, you'd think Jaime would not want to venture further but sometimes it just eggs them on. He probably asked it if it spoke Cat.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my!
How brave of you to have gotten the thing into the cat box! Had it been me I would have ran as fast as I could, scooped Dori up, ran back the stairs slammed the cellar door shut, put something under the door (I know the snake can't fit under the door, but take no precautions) and called the police and made them capture the intruder!
Gosh you are a brave woman

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

Oh my!
How brave of you to have gotten the thing into the cat box! Had it been me I would have ran as fast as I could, scooped Dori up, ran back the stairs slammed the cellar door shut, put something under the door (I know the snake can't fit under the door, but take no precautions) and called the police and made them capture the intruder!
Gosh you are a brave woman
LOL! I figured after handling a boa, I was probably less afraid of the snake than somebody who'd never been around them. When I was a teenager, our next-door neighbor had a pet alligator, and guess who fed him (but did NOT clean his wading pool) when he was away on vacation? I used to stand on the steps and toss dead fish and hamburger to the darn thing.

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG how scary , gosh I would be freaking when I would see that thing . I am just happy nothing has happen to Jamie and she is still alive and kicking . I am also thankful that you did not kill the snake . I know my husband would just kill it , or my son if they see the snake . Not to be mean or something , but to keep us all save , humans and animals I mean . And how brave of you catching it for the police to pick it up . WOW
. You go girl

dima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Danielle would have wrapped the thing around her and asked questions later! She's a snake savant. Can't count past 20 but she knows all about snakes!
We're snake lovers here, not just kitty lovers

grissom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your brave. I am terrified I might have roaches. If a snake appeared, I would pack up the cat, leave everything else, and move out! YUCK! I hate snakes.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! How scary!
You certainly are brave, Tricia! I'm with Tanya, I would have grabbed Sierra and been out of that cellar as fast as my feet could carry us~door bolted tightly behind us!

fastdak

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL, I am lucky that it is usually too cold in Calgary to have snakes.
In my 21 years on this earth I have seen 1 snake in Calgary that has not been locked in a glass case and that was when I was playing golf (and it was just a little one).
If I saw a snake, in/around/near/close to my house, where I work, or anywhere that I regularly go, I wouldnt be able to return.

Snakes and generally any type of reptile are my #1 phobia...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I called the police station - the zoo identified the snake as an African ball python, which is apparently the smallest type - they only get up to about 6 1/2 feet, and this one definitely wasn't that long - maybe a bit over 4 ft. Anyway, it's now at the county shelter (along with my cat carrier - thought that was going to happen). And they can and do eat cats, according to the zoo (the cop apparently thought my concern was funny, and asked). We still have no idea where it came from, but the shelter said people sometimes abandon them when they start to get too big. That might make sense - we live on a cul-de-sac, which is actually a perfect place to abandon pets "privately".
We looked around the front yard today to see if we found any more (no), and my husband fixed the screen and put chicken wire on the outside, just in case.
Jamie is still waiting for the snake to come back - I guess that was the greatest excitement he's ever had.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Did you know it wasn't poisonous before you put it in the carrier? You are brave! I would be scared it might be posionous after all. Glad Jamie got your attention on time and didn't wander in to investigate on his own!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anne

Did you know it wasn't poisonous before you put it in the carrier? You are brave! I would be scared it might be posionous after all. Glad Jamie got your attention on time and didn't wander in to investigate on his own!
There's only one type of small poisonous snake (a type of adder) here in Germany, and that's in an area which is a four-hour drive from here. I knew it wasn't a rattler, copperhead, adder or cobra, and figured it was a captive snake, but didn't take too much of a chance, since I used a big outdoor broom and basically pushed it into the carrier. Probably traumatized the poor thing.

Jamie did go in to investigate - he was hissing, batting and jumping at it. He catches garter snakes all the time, and must have thought he'd found a "prize" one this time!

Our next-door neighbor is totally freaked out - she saw it when the cops brought it out, and is now terrified that she'll find one in her cellar.

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow I'd be terrified too.

I like looking at insects as long as they don't move and I like looking at reptiles on t.v.

Don't blame your neighbor at all.

"A cat bitten once by a snake dreads even rope" Arab Proverb

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tamme

"A cat bitten once by a snake dreads even rope" Arab Proverb
I read the proverb to Jamie - but I doubt it's going to stop his fascination with garter snakes (he caught one today) if the python didn't!