Interesting situation, not sure if I should let cat out?

lawf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, so I have a bit of a different situation here and I'm not sure what I should do.  I'm taking care of my friend/old roommates cat and I'm not sure if I should let him go outside?  He lived here for a year and was an outside cat the whole time and instantly knew the whole house when i brought him back, its just been exactly a whole year since he was last here so I'm not sure what to do?  he's constantly bugging me to let him outside or tries to sneak out when I let the dog out(which im also sitting).  he's been here 2 full days now and should only be here another 3-4 days.  i was also hoping him and my cat would go back to being best friends like they were when he lived here but i tried to let them hang out together today and it wasn't good so now I have to always keep them separate, which has been a pain since I need to give them both outside of the room time.  

or should i just let him keep crying and not let him outside?  or should I just take him back to my friends apartment a few days early and just go feed him every day?

i didn't really get a chance to think this through, I basically had less than 24 hours notice, he had an extreme family emergency and had to fly out.

sprin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't let him out, in case he tried to walk back to his new house. It's safer keeping him inside.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Even though your place is familiar, he still might try to get to his home if you let him out.  Odds are he would stay nearby if you let him out, but even if there is just a small chance he'd go roaming, it's not worth the chance of losing him.  It's unfortunate that he didn't pick up his friendship with your cat.  I remember when you posted about their friendship last year when he first moved out. 

I think you have to choose between keeping the cats separate and taking him home early.  In your shoes, I would probably take him home early and go over every day to feed him and give him some play time.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ahh, not sure if anyone would've remembered that, but yeah it was a bummer.  my cat was all for it, but my friends cat was not.  all he wants to do is go outside.  i think im just going to have to keep just letting them out separate every few hours.

i'm still debating whether or not to take his cat back to his apartment 2 days early or not, i would feel bad because he would be alone and the apartment is disgusting, but at least he wouldn't be annoyed constantly trying to get out of my house and me saying no and having to move him out of the way.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The apartment is disgusting how?  Dirty or cluttered?  Floppy always considered clutter to be her personal obstacle course, designed specifically for her pleasure by her loving humans.

I understand not wanting to leave him alone there, but with no human around to complain to he might simply decide to cope rather than hassling it.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
both.  i had to give his dog a bath and his cat one of those water-less foam baths because they smelled like piss and cigarettes.  he has clothes all over the floor of his room that im guessing both his dog and cat have peed on multiple times.  

but it does make sense that he would cope with it easier rather than being in the room he's at now and hearing me and crying to come out but not being able to.

i think i will take his cat back 2 days early, i just think it would be for the best.