Intact males and size

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, in defence of the OP, this thread started out with a question about the size difference between an intact male and a neutered male. Somehow it got off track and has become about neutering.

I don't get the sense that the OP doesn't care, just the opposite in fact. I think it is quite natural and normal to question the practice of neutering. When I had my little Tuxedo neutered a year ago, the thought did cross my mind about how unfortunate it is that we must neuter and spay animals. That said, I do agree that female and male cats should be fixed to prevent unwanted kittens. The OP has stated that when his/her cat starts to exhibit more obvious signs of intact male behavior that leads to problems, that he/she will take the necessary steps.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

withoutaname

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is some research, but not nearly enough. You can't exactly compare this to circumcision, but rather to castrating of humans. I don't have enough knowledge to say how similar the body of a cat and human works, but if it's anything like humans, this hormone is somewhat essential. Humans can become depressed, stop growing, the metabolism slows down and so on. Even if it's not exactly like this in cats, I don't trust that there is no change at all. Still, I think we can say that given peoples experience and a few studies, we can assume that there isn't any health threatening problems, and that in most cases it may even not stop the growth. I'm going to keep reading up on this. 

Thank you, oneandahalfcats, that's exactly it. Maybe I was more defensive before instead of just saying that  

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@withoutaname, you stated earlier that if your male kitty starts acting poorly, or is unhappy then you'll go ahead and get him spayed.

My argument is, why would you want him (and your property) to experience the negative side of being a Tom? Once he starts to destroy your property with spraying, and physical destruction it will most likely be too late.

The key is to neuter a male BEFORE any of this happens...

I really don't know another way to put it. I think maybe everyone's replies are so strong b/c it seems like common sense.

I guess I don't understand your logic. You have 10 people telling you the answer, and yet you are still defiant.

Do what you want to do, think what you want to think, but for your pet's sake- Do the right thing.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
@3nails  I think it's good that you're doing your research well ahead of time. I think part of the problem with the thread was that we're talking about two different cats - your potential future one and @withoutaname's current cat. Not the same situation, obviously.

I had a call today from someone wanting to get rid of her one year old cat. The reason? The cat was aggressive, fighting with other cats and had sprayed in her house three times already. It was an easy enough guess, and no, she did not have him neutered yet. She was going to, but she didn't have time, the low-cost clinic was full, she couldn't get him into the carrier... you get the picture. 

Once a cat begins to spray it can be a very hard habit to break. The chances of re-homing that cat are slim. I talked her into giving him a second chance and told her I'll help her get him fixed asap. I am not at all this will help at this point. As @Denice  said, there are no known health repercussions to early spay/neuter of cats. There are many behavioral ones associated with not doing so.

@withoutaname  I honestly can't see how one can ignore the stench of an intact's cat's urine. Not only does it stink, it is very very hard to get rid off once it gets established. I've heard of walls being torn down and entire floors replaced because they couldn't get rid of the smell. This is something that can literally destroy a property. I really do find it hard to imagine anyone willing to live with that stench. Assuming you're anosmic yourself, you have to make sure other people in your household, or even your neighbors are as well. There will be complaints, I can tell you that.

As for the cat not breeding kittens, as others have said, you can't ever be sure of that. Even if that would be the case, your cat would still get into fights with other neutered cats occasionally, and be exposed to the risks of covering large distances outdoors (dogs, cars, mean people) as well as to injury and diseases. Studies show that intact males living outdoors have a much shorter lifespan and there are very good reasons for that. 

As for breeders, I've never been one, but I know most breeders keep males in separate enclosures and not inside their home. The cats are usually mellow (or they wouldn't be in a breeding program with parents that are show cats), but they still tend to spray. Not all intact males do, so some breeders do manage to raise their intact males indoors, but ask yourself if you'd be willing to take that risk.

Last edited:

aroojay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As for my cat spraying, I'm actually more worried he hasn't started yet. I was under the impression that all intact males do it? He is only ten months though, but he does sometimes pee outside his litter boxes, a bad habit he's had since early on. Because of that it might be difficult to know when he starts spraying..
hahaha,dude,ur in for a BIG surprise!! u think u wnt notice spraying cuz he pees outside? Trust me,once the spraying starts,everything u touch,everything u wear,everything u lie on will smell of urine and as to the spraying and urinating positions,once ur cat's tail goes up and it gets close to something while in a walking position and kinda like shivers a lil, VOILAAAA,there u hv it,ur own brand of automatic sprayer in the house!!
i am living with one and i cnt even begin to tell u how difficult it is not to throw the cat out out of disgust and helplessness!! my sibz made the mistake of wanting to take stud service from the cat and it got out of hand real fast.i am still struggling with the idea of turning him into ab outdoor cat rather than keepin him in.DO I HAVE A CHOICE?! [emoji]128105[/emoji][emoji]128299[/emoji]

aroojay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's good that you're doing your research well ahead of time. I had a call today from someone wanting to get rid of her one year old cat. The reason? The cat was aggressive, fighting with other cats and had sprayed in her house three times already. It was an easy enough guess, and no, she did not have him neutered yet. She was going to, but she didn't have time, the low-cost clinic was full, she couldn't get him into the carrier... you get the picture. 

Once a cat begins to spray it can be a very hard habit to break. The chances of re-homing that cat are slim. I talked her into giving him a second chance and told her I'll help her get him fixed asap. I am not at all this will help at this point. As @Denice
 said, there are no known health repercussions to early spay/neuter of cats. There are many behavioral ones associated with not doing so.

As for breeders, I've never been one, but I know most breeders keep males in separate enclosures and not inside their home. The cats are usually mellow (or they wouldn't be in a breeding program with parents that are show cats), but they still tend to spray. Not all intact males do, so some breeders do manage to raise their intact males indoors, but ask yourself if you'd be willing to take that risk.
@anne, i have a very similar situation here and im in the verge of breaking down.tht cat sprayed only thrice and the owner wanted her out,mine has quite literally marked THE ENTIRE HOUSE so far and it is sooo bad tht u had to fix automatic room freshners in the house in order to keep the smell at bay.
Would u suggest me something for it? can i keep my cat outside and like let it roam around and mayb come back in the lawn,feed him there and let him go again? im afraid je wud get himself killed out there and thts wat has turned my house into a reaking dump!! [emoji]128555[/emoji][emoji]128555[/emoji]
the vetneray services in my country are pretty high so i am thinking of whether to get him neutered now or not.iv heard more than not,they dnt stop spraying once they strt EVEN IF U GET THEM
NEUTERED.would i be wasting all that money and effort?!? [emoji]128542[/emoji]

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

I think it's good that you're doing your research well ahead of time. I had a call today from someone wanting to get rid of her one year old cat. The reason? The cat was aggressive, fighting with other cats and had sprayed in her house three times already. It was an easy enough guess, and no, she did not have him neutered yet. She was going to, but she didn't have time, the low-cost clinic was full, she couldn't get him into the carrier... you get the picture. 

Once a cat begins to spray it can be a very hard habit to break. The chances of re-homing that cat are slim. I talked her into giving him a second chance and told her I'll help her get him fixed asap. I am not at all this will help at this point. As @Denice
 said, there are no known health repercussions to early spay/neuter of cats. There are many behavioral ones associated with not doing so.

@anne, i have a very similar situation here and im in the verge of breaking down.tht cat sprayed only thrice and the owner wanted her out,mine has quite literally marked THE ENTIRE HOUSE so far and it is sooo bad tht u had to fix automatic room freshners in the house in order to keep the smell at bay.
Would u suggest me something for it? can i keep my cat outside and like let it roam around and mayb come back in the lawn,feed him there and let him go again? im afraid je wud get himself killed out there and thts wat has turned my house into a reaking dump!! [emoji]128555[/emoji][emoji]128555[/emoji]
the vetneray services in my country are pretty high so i am thinking of whether to get him neutered now or not.iv heard more than not,they dnt stop spraying once they strt EVEN IF U GET THEM
NEUTERED.would i be wasting all that money and effort?!? [emoji]128542[/emoji]
First, get him neutered. There's no point in even trying to stop him spraying as long as he's not neutered. 

After he's neutered and a few weeks have passed (hormone levels need time to go down), he may stop spraying on his own. If he doesn't, by all means, please start a thread about it in the Cat Behavior forum and we'll try to help! Again, unless he's been neutered for a few weeks at least, any advice we give you is really pointless.

withoutaname

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@withoutaname, you stated earlier that if your male kitty starts acting poorly, or is unhappy then you'll go ahead and get him spayed.

My argument is, why would you want him (and your property) to experience the negative side of being a Tom? Once he starts to destroy your property with spraying, and physical destruction it will most likely be too late.

The key is to neuter a male BEFORE any of this happens...

I really don't know another way to put it. I think maybe everyone's replies are so strong b/c it seems like common sense.

I guess I don't understand your logic. You have 10 people telling you the answer, and yet you are still defiant.

Do what you want to do, think what you want to think, but for your pet's sake- Do the right thing.
Most cats do calm down even if they are neutered after they have reached this point..

I don't think this is common sense, and just because 10 people tell me I'm wrong, it doesn't mean I am. You all clearly have strong opinions on the matter, so there is no point in trying to change your mind, just like you can't change mine, but I would appreciate if you don't tell be that your answer is the only right one. 

withoutaname

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

@3nails  I think it's good that you're doing your research well ahead of time. I think part of the problem with the thread was that we're talking about two different cats - your potential future one and @withoutaname's current cat. Not the same situation, obviously.

I had a call today from someone wanting to get rid of her one year old cat. The reason? The cat was aggressive, fighting with other cats and had sprayed in her house three times already. It was an easy enough guess, and no, she did not have him neutered yet. She was going to, but she didn't have time, the low-cost clinic was full, she couldn't get him into the carrier... you get the picture. 

Once a cat begins to spray it can be a very hard habit to break. The chances of re-homing that cat are slim. I talked her into giving him a second chance and told her I'll help her get him fixed asap. I am not at all this will help at this point. As @Denice  said, there are no known health repercussions to early spay/neuter of cats. There are many behavioral ones associated with not doing so.

@withoutaname  I honestly can't see how one can ignore the stench of an intact's cat's urine. Not only does it stink, it is very very hard to get rid off once it gets established. I've heard of walls being torn down and entire floors replaced because they couldn't get rid of the smell. This is something that can literally destroy a property. I really do find it hard to imagine anyone willing to live with that stench. Assuming you're anosmic yourself, you have to make sure other people in your household, or even your neighbors are as well. There will be complaints, I can tell you that.

As for the cat not breeding kittens, as others have said, you can't ever be sure of that. Even if that would be the case, your cat would still get into fights with other neutered cats occasionally, and be exposed to the risks of covering large distances outdoors (dogs, cars, mean people) as well as to injury and diseases. Studies show that intact males living outdoors have a much shorter lifespan and there are very good reasons for that. 

My property is not important. If I need to, I'll remodel the whole floor. If my family have a problem with the spraying, they'll have to get me an apartment, that's a deal we've made.

Please read this bit again:

"Someone asked if I'm sure about the cats here. I am not 100% sure, because there could always be one cat with idiot owners 1 km away, and then maybe more 3 km away. He will nevertheless have to run a while to find one female to mate with. I think, but I might be wrong, that if he is to run to find a female, that he needs to stop and smell which way to go, which might give me enough time to catch up, either by sprinting after him (only problem is that if I'm to sprint fast, I can't hold it for long..), or by using a fast bicycle (I know I keep saying this won't happen, but just in case, I have bicycles lined up outside). I'm guessing that he will also use a while to get near the cat and mate, so if the worst were to happen, I could figure out who her owners were. 

If I use the statistics and say that one cat here is not neutered, that also mean that the chances of my cat getting into bad fights decreases. Since we do not have any horrible diseases for him to get, the worst thing would be bad injuries (but all the cats here are so fat and lazy, that I think they would be more hurt..of course that's horrible too). That is one reason for concern, but given the slim chances, I think I can leave this be. If he was to get injured, we get a lesson. He will have to stay inside for a while to heal, after visiting his least favorite person, the vet, and we get to feel the stress and grief of having a injured cat, and know we have to neuter him. Again: this is unlikely. "

In biology, chemistry and medical books one can see how important the role of hormones are. Behavior is something one can see easily, but what goes on in the body isn't that easy. Still, thinking of what you said, most people would probably benefit from neutering their indoor cats

3nails

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well then let's shake hands, If you promise not to scold me, I promise not to share my sarcasm :) @catwoman707

Like I said I'm learning. I mentioned the 6 months because of Gemsgem response to my question in my intro thread. I am not convinced that cats being s/n are void of any health problems, but I am still looking around at several sources, as I should be!

I am not anti s/n in pet cats, I would just like to prolong the time my next cat is intact for health benefits. I feel the cat could grow a stronger immune system, but that is based off of dog research.  

@quiet I am assuming you are a veterinarian? I understand plenty of people resent my comment that there are scare tactics being used, but I stand by it. The harsh responses need not be harsh to get the point across.

Scare Tactics: a strategy intended to manipulate public opinion about a particular issue by arousing fear or alarm.

Pyometra most certainly causes fear or alarm and is hardly a reason to spay my dog. You have to understand that I am in the world of intact dogs, both male and female. Long lived, healthy dogs, so you cannot convince me otherwise -in regard to dogs. I think most pet dogs should be s/n, and I even agree with early s/n in kittens being adopted out to the general public, but my main reasoning behind that stance is that the general public cannot seem to avoid unwanted litters. Spraying certainly is a problem, but let's just be honest, the main reason for s/n is not for the animal's health but because of the irresponsibility of most of today's pet owners. It is a tool that can help us manage our pets, but some of us can certainly manage an intact pet, if for just enough time for them to mature physically. I am just providing another perspective, and I certainly don't advise anyone I know to keep their pets intact.  

(If anything ever comes out of my posts as disrespectful or dishonest feel free to call me out on it, but it is never my intention. I like good, educational conversation, which means disagreements at times, and sometimes a little sarcasm when I am targeted wrongly ;), but I do apologize for that. As I said there is always a better way to respond.)

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

My property is not important. If I need to, I'll remodel the whole floor. If my family have a problem with the spraying, they'll have to get me an apartment, that's a deal we've made.

Please read this bit again:

"Someone asked if I'm sure about the cats here. I am not 100% sure, because there could always be one cat with idiot owners 1 km away, and then maybe more 3 km away. He will nevertheless have to run a while to find one female to mate with. I think, but I might be wrong, that if he is to run to find a female, that he needs to stop and smell which way to go, which might give me enough time to catch up, either by sprinting after him (only problem is that if I'm to sprint fast, I can't hold it for long..), or by using a fast bicycle (I know I keep saying this won't happen, but just in case, I have bicycles lined up outside). I'm guessing that he will also use a while to get near the cat and mate, so if the worst were to happen, I could figure out who her owners were. 

If I use the statistics and say that one cat here is not neutered, that also mean that the chances of my cat getting into bad fights decreases. Since we do not have any horrible diseases for him to get, the worst thing would be bad injuries (but all the cats here are so fat and lazy, that I think they would be more hurt..of course that's horrible too). That is one reason for concern, but given the slim chances, I think I can leave this be. If he was to get injured, we get a lesson. He will have to stay inside for a while to heal, after visiting his least favorite person, the vet, and we get to feel the stress and grief of having a injured cat, and know we have to neuter him. Again: this is unlikely. "

In biology, chemistry and medical books one can see how important the role of hormones are. Behavior is something one can see easily, but what goes on in the body isn't that easy. Still, thinking of what you said, most people would probably benefit from neutering their indoor cats
Fair enough. It almost sounds like a good situation to me (for the cat at least), except for one more thing which bothers me. I think you're saying the cat will be kept indoors only? The next question would be just how large is your home. Intact males require a range far larger than that of neutered males (or of females). There's a good study about the ranges cats require - 

Liberg, Olaf, Mikael Sandell, Dominique Pontier, and Eugenia Natoli. "Density, Spatial Organization and Reproductive Tactics in the Domestic Cat and Other Felids." In The Domestic Cat: The Biology of its Behaviour, Second Edition, edited by Dennis C. Turner and Patrick Bateson, 119-148. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2000. 

You may be able to find that at a local library, I'm not sure it's available online. The bottom line is that studies of feral cats showed that intact males need territories that are at least five times larger than those of neutered males. To me, that means that keeping an intact male indoors for its entire life is probably not good for that cat. It will have the desire to go out there and wander and would very likely develop behavioral problems due to confinement stress. So, you have quite a dilemma there. If you keep the cat indoors, it'll get very frustrated and probably suffer. If you let it out, you risk him running around for long distances and getting himself into all kinds of trouble, certainly cat fights if not worse (i.e. abscesses and disease). I'm not sure how you're doing to handle that. The only viable option I can think of is if you have a huge backyard and you're going to fence it with a special cat-proof fence. If you can do that, are willing to watch him 24/7 and jump on a bike if he manages to get outside (an open gate is all it would take), and don't mind the house being ruined by cat urine (the walls too, not just the floors), then yeah, I'd say you can keep your cat whole. 

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Withoutaname...LOL, I'm just picturing you racing/riding after your high-tailing it cat!!

Believe me, when they have a single will (to GO OUT), you won't catch him.  My boy IS neutered, but has an iron will about what he wants.  Until we finally got him a playmate, he just HAD to escape (ours are indoor with 1hr walk each day).  He has chewed through 4 layers of netting, broken the wooden slat of a fence, climbed the twiggiest little weed of a tree, and even TRAVERSED (I watched him) using only his front paws and the rest of his body dangling and swaying to assist each little sideways move along a beam.  Astonishing.  

Despite being neutered, he is also VERY territorial, and he does and will get into cat fights.  Even once when my husband had found him at the start of a confrontation with the nemisis neighbourhood cat, they went at it and we had to take him to the vet (the nemesis cat was UNNEUTERED and a PAIN- even sprayed cars and doors of other houses.  The owner was rather unpopular...).  My point being, even neutered cats get into fights with unneutered cats - don't assume your boy is safe because everyone else's cat is neutered.  They could just have a cat like mine!

But hey, back to the funnies, I have spent some time chasing my cat, and they are adept at making you fall flat on your face while they just magically get out of your reach!  And humans, especially on bikes, can't go over fences and roofs - and when we try, there's the risk we look like a burglar!  Thankfully we don't have these escapades anymore...the playmate burns up his energy, and we have successfully - after many iterations - created fort knox.  Unless he grows thumbs and arms himself with wire cutters, he's staying IN!

@3nails  some more grist for the mind...what's the difference between 'scare tactics' and 'scary facts'? 

withoutaname

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Fair enough. It almost sounds like a good situation to me (for the cat at least), except for one more thing which bothers me. I think you're saying the cat will be kept indoors only? The next question would be just how large is your home. Intact males require a range far larger than that of neutered males (or of females). There's a good study about the ranges cats require - 

Liberg, Olaf, Mikael Sandell, Dominique Pontier, and Eugenia Natoli. "Density, Spatial Organization and Reproductive Tactics in the Domestic Cat and Other Felids." In The Domestic Cat: The Biology of its Behaviour, Second Edition, edited by Dennis C. Turner and Patrick Bateson, 119-148. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2000. 

You may be able to find that at a local library, I'm not sure it's available online. The bottom line is that studies of feral cats showed that intact males need territories that are at least five times larger than those of neutered males. To me, that means that keeping an intact male indoors for its entire life is probably not good for that cat. It will have the desire to go out there and wander and would very likely develop behavioral problems due to confinement stress. So, you have quite a dilemma there. If you keep the cat indoors, it'll get very frustrated and probably suffer. If you let it out, you risk him running around for long distances and getting himself into all kinds of trouble, certainly cat fights if not worse (i.e. abscesses and disease). I'm not sure how you're doing to handle that. The only viable option I can think of is if you have a huge backyard and you're going to fence it with a special cat-proof fence. If you can do that, are willing to watch him 24/7 and jump on a bike if he manages to get outside (an open gate is all it would take), and don't mind the house being ruined by cat urine (the walls too, not just the floors), then yeah, I'd say you can keep your cat whole. 
Thanks, I will read that! 

I have not thought about him needing that much space, because right now he won't even go upstairs alone. Our house + our yard, is probably not enough, but there might be a chance that we're moving to a bigger house in a year or so. Right now he is content with going on a walk each day, but if I see him not being happy with just this anymore, or if he don't seem happy, I will not hesitate to get him neutered. 

I have a dilemma right there, yes, but think about it this way: right now I almost think my cat is the one exception, and that this won't happen to him and bla bla. If this were to happen, I understand that this problem applies to him too, and I will then learn and get him neutered.

But thanks for understanding!  

withoutaname

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Withoutaname...LOL, I'm just picturing you racing/riding after your high-tailing it cat!!

Believe me, when they have a single will (to GO OUT), you won't catch him.  My boy IS neutered, but has an iron will about what he wants.  Until we finally got him a playmate, he just HAD to escape (ours are indoor with 1hr walk each day).  He has chewed through 4 layers of netting, broken the wooden slat of a fence, climbed the twiggiest little weed of a tree, and even TRAVERSED (I watched him) using only his front paws and the rest of his body dangling and swaying to assist each little sideways move along a beam.  Astonishing.  

Despite being neutered, he is also VERY territorial, and he does and will get into cat fights.  Even once when my husband had found him at the start of a confrontation with the nemisis neighbourhood cat, they went at it and we had to take him to the vet (the nemesis cat was UNNEUTERED and a PAIN- even sprayed cars and doors of other houses.  The owner was rather unpopular...).  My point being, even neutered cats get into fights with unneutered cats - don't assume your boy is safe because everyone else's cat is neutered.  They could just have a cat like mine!

But hey, back to the funnies, I have spent some time chasing my cat, and they are adept at making you fall flat on your face while they just magically get out of your reach!  And humans, especially on bikes, can't go over fences and roofs - and when we try, there's the risk we look like a burglar!  Thankfully we don't have these escapades anymore...the playmate burns up his energy, and we have successfully - after many iterations - created fort knox.  Unless he grows thumbs and arms himself with wire cutters, he's staying IN!

@3nails  some more grist for the mind...what's the difference between 'scare tactics' and 'scary facts'? 
I guess I'll just have to experience this to learn. And I totally believe he'll make me fall, when we're on a walk and he suddenly starts sprinting after birds, I am sprinting like an idiot after him, and each time I'm so thankful that I didn't fall. And even when I run my fastest, I'm around seven meters behind him (so if I slow down even once, the poor guy gets jerked backwards..).

I guess it's time to get the bike that go 40 to 50 km/h...sigh..

Believe me, if he escapes just ones, it will be done.

withoutaname

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I said in response to Anne; think about it this way: right now I almost think my cat is the one exception, and that this won't happen to him and bla bla. If this were to happen, I understand that this problem applies to him too, and I will then learn and get him neutered.

withoutaname

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could we all now focus on something other than my choices?