insurance

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have insurance for my cats, but I do put £20 into a high interest savings account each week.

As I'm good at saving and my cats are all young, I feel this will cover things for now! I am certainly not ruling insurance out for the future, but for now, things are working well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

animal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i just thought the saving thing was a good idea although if anything was to happen now i wouldnt be covered,like u say..my cats are fairly young yet,the oldest being 4 years..i think im going to look into insurance just to see the cost plus there maybe a discount for having five cats lol..i have had cats in the past and ive been very lucky as in one lived till she was nearly 17 and her health was great till she sadly died of old age but things do happen and its a scarey thought i wouldnt have enough money to pay the costs..so insurance is still a thought

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first got cats, I didn't think I could get insurance due to taking on oldies - and every single one has cost me hundreds of pounds, which I have had to pay for with the credit card or overdraft. When I eventually found out I Could get oldies insured, it wasn't worth it for Snowy as she already had a liver condition, and Ginger had only cost me three dentals (by which point he had no teeth left!!). I finally opted to get PEbbles insured last August (the vet thought she had kidney probs) and they have paid over £500 for her - I know that there was at least one route where her nose was concerned that my vet wouldnt have told me about if she hadn't been insured, and a couple of the other things she had done the vet said 'as she is insured we can do this' - she was told that insured or not, I Wanted them doing. I know that my vet wouldn't want me to spend large amounts of money if it wouldn't ultimately benefit the cat, and she knows I am not the kind of person who would keep having treatment just to prolong their life when they have an incurable disease, and I have seen neighbours do it to the detriment of the animal, so I do agree that there can be too much medical care. I have since got Ginger insured (not taken out at the same time as PEbbles, as his was too pricey), and Molly has been insured (even though I haven't fully adopted her). The three of them cost me under £25 a month, and they are 11, 13 and nearly 15, so there is a good chance they will have some health issues in the future. My vets insist on being paid up front and then you claim the money back, so for a large amount, there could be a prob (mine dotn allow monthly payments either)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

animal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes, my vet too wants the money on call..ive always had enough but never had any serious illness..the most its cost me is about 35 pounds when my eldest had a steriod injection, for an unknown illness *so the vet said*..but thinking ahead if anything serious was to happen *god forbid*..id be on the bum for money as i dont earn that much..im really thinking that insurance would be best even though my cats are only 4,3,2,1 and 3 months..i know in my heart of hearts if something came up id use the money in my bank to pay for it

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine will deal directly with the insurance company, but my old vet would not deal with the same insurance company. Its completely up to the vet.

I pay $41 CDN for my four for emergency insurance

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not able to recommend VPI. They delayed responding to my first claim for a month. (they say it takes them thirty days to even consider it.) Then they asked for the cat's complete medical records. Then they sent out a denial claming they didn't receive the records THE DAY AFTER they admitted they received them since the time frame had expired! Never mind that they were the ones that caused the delay!. I got to speak to a manager instead of the prattling drone who was telling me to take a jump and forget about the claim; the manager said I'd hear from them again in 12 days.
Times' up.

I would recommend any other company over this one. They do not deliver.