Insulation For Outdoor Cat House

kittiekate89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Going to make my female stray a insulated cat house (with the two plastic totes) but not sure what kind of insulation to use.
My bf said the fiberglass is too dangerous to use for her. Could i use a spray foam or the foam board ones??
It's a tight budget so can't afford the nice expensive insulation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittiekate89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't think I'll be able to find straw.
I'm looking for something to put in between the 2 totes.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Craft stores sell straw, especially this time of year for Thanksgiving decorations. Out here we have a chain of fabric/crafts stores called Joann Fabric or sum such.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Craft stores sell straw, especially this time of year for Thanksgiving decorations. Out here we have a chain of fabric/crafts stores called Joann Fabric or sum such.
Be careful with craft store straw as some of it has been chemically processed. It may be fine for using in between the layers, but not ok for the cats to sleep or burrow in.

Check garden centers. Lots of places have straw now that were used in fall displays. I found a bale once at a garden center that they were wanting to get rid of. When they found out I was using it for feral cats, they gave it to me for free.
Just be sure it is completely dry.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I built a house for Miss Eleanor, a feral TNR, out of scrap wood with rigid foam insulation in walls and floor, then used tempered hardboard to sandwich and protect it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rigid foam board is good, and not too expensive. The hardware store will cut it to size for you if you ask. Expanding foam works great but is tricky to get right. And you end up with a real mess when it goes wrong, lol.

Straw is best for bedding. It doesn't hold moisture, but does hold heat, and is cheap. Garden stores and Tractor Supply should have it. I've never seem chemically treated straw at a craft store, but some decorative "straw bales" are made of paper or raffia instead of straw and obviously that's no good! If it's real straw it should be OK though.