Inroducing A New Kitten After Fip Death

BegalOwner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

6 weeks ago, I took home 2 beautiful Bengal kittens, Ares and Tulah. Sadly last week, Ares at 5 months old had to be put to sleep as he developed the wet form of FIP.

W are in regular contact with our breeder who has been great and because of how quickly this all occured after we took Ares home, has offered us another kitten to 'replace' him (though thats not possible in my eyes).

Tulah, is a very strong healthy kitten who is showing no signs of weakness, apart from missing her playmate. It is likely she carries the cornavirus already and has built immunity already. I will add - Ares was a bottle fed kitten who had health concerns from a young age (which we thought had been resolved when we took him home) so was a prime candidate for developing FIP following the stress of moving home.

It will be at least 3 months from now, before we get our new kitten (late November) and i've done all the disinfecting etc of my house. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for introducing a new cat to the home after the sudden loss of one? Tulah will be around 8 months old by then.

Thank you

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Once those excellent articles have been read, I suggest that you consider this. Tulah will be all the better for a playmate. I'm more concerned about the humans in the equation. So long as you are ready to open your hearts to another kitten, NEVER to replace Ares but to make his own place, then by all means, bring Tulah a new brother home. The younger they are, the more readily they adapt.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is likely she carries the cornavirus already and has built immunity already.
BegalOwner BegalOwner - Feline Infectious Peritonitis is caused by a mutation of the coronavirus. Any cat which carries any coronavirus - at any age - is potentially at risk for developing FIP, and there is neither immunity nor immunology against FIP.