Ino's pregnancy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missino3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
M missino3

Why did you have to go to the emergency hospital?
Because I called them during the birth of the twins about ino freaking out during labor and not delivering the placenta right away but instead, tried getting up and going in circles and hurting the kitten. And asked about if there's anything I can do asap there to fix/help the foot. They said yes over the phone only to go there and find out that they can't, but lucky she had the kitten who had a defect there to get it euthanized.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww. It's good the one little kitten did not suffer.

I wondered if you went because mama cat had a kitten stuck or was bleeding too much. That makes sense though.

Is the foot just swollen? Or is it damaged? I can't tell from the picture.

missino3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww. Is it just swollen?

What's the white thing in the umbilical area?
It's swollen/broken that Way.:/ it's really hard to explain how it's like, but is there anything I can do to help it? Like taping it or anything for the meantime? My normal vet for her is on vacation until Tuesday but left a message, if theres something to help for now please let me know! And the white thing you might be seeing is the little space of light between the kitten and my hand, unless I'm missing something in the picture haha

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think just leaving it be to let the swelling go down for now is best. I'm hoping it will heal and look better soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It almost looks like a club foot, now that I can see it better. He'll get by in life okay with it though.

missino3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The twins! First and smallest twin:
The second and biggest twin:
The last kitten - they are the biggest, strongest and fastest. Right after birth, they went straight and started fighting and pushing the siblings over for a nipples. This one's the bully haha.

missino3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All are nursing and eating, mom is still kind of nervous especially since we had to go in the middle of birthing and rush to the hospital, but she's cleaning and nursing. She needed a little help with cleaning the kitten's bottoms and potting but I've been feeding her spoonfuls of wet/dried kitten food and serving water to help for out for now. Haha

missino3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It almost looks like a club foot, now that I can see it better. He'll get by in life okay with it though.
Yeah, I was told it will either fix on its own, might have a limp the rest of its life, or depending on how bad it is, amputate the leg. Either way though, the kitten will grow up and be fine and healthy. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be a tendon problem that can be straightened out with massage and splints. I would not amputate the leg. I sent a link to you about the tendon issue. Check it out!

Last edited:

missino3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know any tips on how to help mom stimulate kittens to potty? I've been doing it myself when I started to notice she wasn't doing it. I start stimulating to get it started and then put the kitten in front of mom and sometimes she does it and other times avoids it all together. Any suggestions?

5kittymommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What's the deal with these mamas?!? Lol my Sadie had 5 babies. She will nurse them (I lay her down) every 2 hours but that's it. When they pull away she's like [emoji]9996[/emoji][emoji]127996[/emoji]️ And goes about her business. They are now a day old. I hope they all make it ok. Congrats on your new crew :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The moms do not clean and stimulate their kittens every single time they nurse. If she is not doing it at all, then help her.

My guess would be that mom is tired. Other than putting the kittens in front of her or helping her, there isn't much else you can do.

missino3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww your babies are so cute!:) congratulations on your grandkittens. :) My mama is doing good with everything else but cleaning/stimulating. She isn't doing it at all so I've been going in and doing it or putting them in front of her face. She's been doing pretty good this morning though. :)

5kittymommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww your babies are so cute!:) congratulations on your grandkittens. :) My mama is doing good with everything else but cleaning/stimulating. She isn't doing it at all so I've been going in and doing it or putting them in front of her face. She's been doing pretty good this morning though. :)
Ty!! Your babies are soooo sweet :) Sadie has did extremely well for approximately 10hrs now. She's nursing them, very protective, she's not cleaning them but everything else is wonderful!! I'm so relieved! I'm going to continue to weigh these babies just for peace of mind.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ty!! Your babies are soooo sweet
Sadie has did extremely well for approximately 10hrs now. She's nursing them, very protective, she's not cleaning them but everything else is wonderful!! I'm so relieved! I'm going to continue to weigh these babies just for peace of mind.
You'll want to keep weighing the kittens every day until they are 3-4 weeks old.  Sometimes one can start to slip and you'll want to catch it as soon as possible.  They're so fragile!

missino3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kittens are a little over 4 weeks so I'm trying to get them to eat food. I've done wet food mixed with formula, dry food mixed with formula, mix of all three, just dry cat food with wet food together and separate and they won't eat on their own. :( mom's there eating everything I put down to show them and I've put the food on their paws to lick off and eat that way but still won't go on their own. Any suggestions? Is it too early to have them eat on their own willingly still? They are going in the cat box fine, minus sometimes them thinking THAT'S the food or them playing in it. -.-

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens wean better at 5-6 weeks. When they are ready they wean very quickly! [emoji]128522[/emoji]