innova?

kushmama89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so i was wondering what everyones thoughts were on innova dry food? i picked some up today ($20 a bag!) for the kitten and figured i would soak/blend it with kitten glop until she could munch on it by itself. i also have a can of wet innova food but i have a/d canned food too for now. is innova good? or is wellness better? i didnt scan through the foods tooooo much but i know they had wellness, blue, evo/innova (evo was even more..yikes) and stuff like chicken soup and natural balance. ive seen somw other weirs names on bere that i dont remember seeing in the store around here. but any of the ones i listed better than the innova? or am i good? i heard p&g might have downgraded the formula and im a bit upset since i didnt research until AFTER i got home....

violetxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In comparison to other cat food brands, I would say Natura is (as far as I know P&G has not changed anything just yet) one of the best cat foods out there, at least certain formulas (grain-free).

If I were ever to feed my kitties a dry, Innova Prime would be my first choice. Its high in protein, low in carbohydrates (that includes grains, fruits and veggies) and doesn't contain fillers or preservatives. Cats are obligate carnivores so they don't need ANY carbohydrates in their diet nor can they digest them so when choosing a food, you want to steer away from carb-heavy foods.

Here's a list of the top dry foods on the market: http://www.naturalcatcareblog.com/2011/08/best-dry-cat-foods-so-far/

Also, I would suggest rotating wet foods. Especially due to the uncertainty with Innova/Evo now that P&G has purchased it. Its also a great way to prevent sensitivities, pickiness and since every food is different (in amounts of protein, nutrients, etc) its safer to rotate between 4-6 different brands than only feed one.

Here's an article on dry food that you may find of interest: http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutrition/why-dry-food-is-bad-for-cats-and-dogs/

Happy cat food shopping! 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kushmama89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you very much! ill take a look at those links! and i definitely plans on giving both wet and dry. so i may do wellness too.

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes this helped me to Violetxx

KushMama89, don't you find it difficult finding kitten food that actually help the kitten grow. I had to mix up Vitamins and ingredients in my kitten food too. If you can find one for kittens only that is.

kushmama89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my baby is an orphan and is only four weeks so im just beginning to prepare =]
shes still on formula for the most part. i alsso give her nurtra cal i think its called which is a hich calorie supplement in a goo form. innova is supposed to be very high protein but the manufactorer changed which worries me. my animals eat better than we do! lol

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had three about fives ago. KMR kitten formula was what saved their lives. Hertz had one. But it was a joke ingredent wise. Farnam had Just Born that helped too when the KMR was gone.

Since I been on here I had two kittens. One is one years old. That I got as a four month old at the humane society. My youngest was four weeks when I bought him at a pet store. The raw food people helped me with the youngest. He is well fed. Growing his bones and mussles. Some brains...

kushmama89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
haha. ya mine is on kitten glop. the kmr made her too constipated. i was having to giver her enemas because she just was not pooping.