Innocent irritation...what's the phrase?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my brother in laws will finish a sentence "you know what I mean". We went on a cruise with tme a couple of years ago and towards the end of the cruise it was driving me nuts!!

Another one-I don't know if its a local phrase is basically someone is asking someone else a question and the end the sentence with "or no?"

Another one when my in laws where alive and they were speaking about someone's son or daughter they would not address that person by name but instead say "john Smith's son or Jane Doe's daughter. (they do have names!!) This could have been because they were much older and grew up in a rural community.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I'm relieved to know I'm not alone.

Interesting to hear other people's irritations -- and somewhat instructive -- keep 'em coming...

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I have a problem with people who sprinkle, "Like", and "you know" into every sentence several times and it has absolutely NO MEANING.

People who used "basically" to open every sentence.

"He/she goes", rather than "he/she SAID".

Basically, like, I go SHUT UP!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

People who used "basically" to open every sentence.

"He/she goes", rather than "he/she SAID".

Basically, like, I go SHUT UP!
TeeHee

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's this guy at my Dad's allotment and he always says 'I tell a lie....I know it was Thursday because....' The stories he tells last FOREVER! Dad never manages to get any work done when this guy's there!

He is always metioning how many 'millies' of rain there has been too!

Guy, 'We had 13 millies last night, no, I tell a lie, I know it was Tuesday because I had to go shopping with the wife and we bought some new shirts for me from M&S, so it was Tuesday. We had 13 millies on Tuesday'

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My darling hubby has recently picked up "beeeaaaatch" from a friend of his. He uses it completely out of context, and he says it in this strange voice that makes my skin crawl for some reason. I think he thinks he's being cool, but he's 42 years old...I finally asked him to refrain from using it when I'm around.