Injured Stray - How to Help?

eleventhestray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Long story short, I'm a college student living in an apartment complex and last September happened upon a stray cat. She was very skittish and scared of pretty much anything. Any fast movement had her running. I couldn't bear to have her out without having something to eat, so I've been feeding her since then. She has a little house on our porch and comes around every day around dinner (lol). But if it's cold she will just hang out in her house. She loooooves affection and is honestly the sweetest cat and I'm not even a cat person.

When I found her, she had a sore/injury on her back that I wanted to help. We went longer without seeing her back then because she wasn't approachable, so by the time I saw her again it had scabbed over. Last night she came over with a wound on her back that she didn't have the day before. There are woods (where I assume she roams during the day) behind our complex so I assume she ran into something. I will attach pictures below, but I'm wondering what to do? I was honestly just going to clean it with peroxide and maybe put some neosporin, if she'll let me. She'll sit in my lap and will let me pick her up, but I'm not sure she would fair well going to a vet. She's literally never known anything else as far as I know and it's taken me this long to have her comfortable with me (and it's mostly only me, she lets others pet her but only reacts/comes over when she sees I'm home. It's really sweet).

Pictures of it (it looks like she's also probably licking it a lot)
Any advice is appreciated! Thank you

I do want to get her checked out at a vet at some point, but I've been working on getting her used to me picking her up. I don't have access to a carrier either so that's another issue. And as I mentioned, I'm a college student, so funds aren't exactly overflowing right now :) I plan to get her adopted when I graduate this May, because I'm allergic to cats LOL every time I sit with her I sneeze and my eyes swell.

Thanks again!!
Riley IMG_3926.jpg IMG_3929.jpg IMG_3931.jpg IMG_3930.jpg IMG_3928.jpg IMG_3926.jpg

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Poor baby! I wouldn't use peroxide on her wound. I have heard it can actually damage tissue. If you can get to a grocery store to buy some chamomile tea bags (which are almost always German, you don't want English nor any additives/flavorings), brew a bag in water, cool the liquid and use a soft cloth the place the tea on the wound. The tea has both healing and soothing properties. If you can do it more than once a day, all the better! If you do choose to use Neosporin on it afterwards, use the original one that does not have pain meds in it. Just try to rub it in as much as possible so she is not able to lick much, if any, off.

If you don't see some improvement over the next couple of days, or it appears to be getting infected, it might be time to consider a vet appointment. Hopefully other members will soon see your post and have some ideas of offer as well

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hydrogen peroxide is damaging to skin but can be used if diluted in warm water to clean the area if your goal is to keep the wound from scabbing. Which would be done with abscesses that are still pussy. For this wound, just some warm water to clean it and don't allow it to scab if you see puss or swelling. You can also use the brown medical iodine diluted in water for wound cleaning. Original neosporin with no additives is safe but you want to apply a very thin layer so it absorbs and she isn't licking it off.

It doesn't look like it has a puncture so infection is less likely but still could happen. If she tolerates it clean it at least once a day and check for pus or spreading redness.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SO glad you found your way to this site! It's a great place for getting information, opinions, suggestions, and encouragement from lots of people who are happy to lend an ear! And I'm glad she's got someone looking out for her, poor girl (which makes her a LUCKY poor girl!). She sounds like a love - - and it sounds like she knows she's safe with you. WOOHOO for you for taking the time to help this girl - - to the point of pushing through your allergies!!!! (I have a slight cat allergy - I can't touch my eyes after petting - OTC generic benadryl is super cheap and does help me with my allergies to an extent). I'm glad you're thinking ahead to getting her a home. Sounds like, with your help, she could very much end up in a caring forever home!

As always - - good advice already from Kieka Kieka and FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . I wouldn't want to sound like a vet (since I'm not ...although I often wish I were since we don't have unlimited funds either!)...and it's extra hard without seeing it in person to make a good guess. It looks like she's really been licking at it - - so it's probably either very itchy or at least uncomfortable for her in that spot. My first thought was ringworm (at shelters we see alot of it) ... but I wouldn't want to say that's definitely what it is (just in case - it's a good idea to very thoroughly wash your hands after touching her). But it could also be a flea allergy...or any number of issues. I'd definitely stay away from neopsorin with additives, as both members above noted, but you'd need to be a little cautious with even the original Neosporin since it's in an area where she can lick it off. If you go that way - - definitely put on just a VERY thin layer & gently rub it in (with gloves if possible - - which you can find cheaply at most pharmacies and grocery stores).

The best thing - if possible - is to have a vet look at her. But I truly do understand and empathize having a tough time affording a vet - - and the worry about getting her there, etc. Check online to see if you have any low-cost vet clinics in your area. If you can find one, they often charge based on income (and as a student - - I'm sure you don't have much of an income, if any!). Sometimes they'll also let you pay in installments. And ours even has cardboard carriers for sale that are SUPER cheap - but not sturdy enough if she truly panics in one. If you can get your hands on one, I'd test her in it before trying to make a vet trip. If you get to that point - I'd be happy to offer some suggestions as to how to try that.

Keep us posted!!!!!! Again - SO glad you found us and even more glad SHE found you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eleventhestray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Poor baby! I wouldn't use peroxide on her wound. I have heard it can actually damage tissue. If you can get to a grocery store to buy some chamomile tea bags (which are almost always German, you don't want English nor any additives/flavorings), brew a bag in water, cool the liquid and use a soft cloth the place the tea on the wound. The tea has both healing and soothing properties. If you can do it more than once a day, all the better! If you do choose to use Neosporin on it afterwards, use the original one that does not have pain meds in it. Just try to rub it in as much as possible so she is not able to lick much, if any, off.

If you don't see some improvement over the next couple of days, or it appears to be getting infected, it might be time to consider a vet appointment. Hopefully other members will soon see your post and have some ideas of offer as well
Thank you so much! I will look into this!

eleventhestray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hydrogen peroxide is damaging to skin but can be used if diluted in warm water to clean the area if your goal is to keep the wound from scabbing. Which would be done with abscesses that are still pussy. For this wound, just some warm water to clean it and don't allow it to scab if you see puss or swelling. You can also use the brown medical iodine diluted in water for wound cleaning. Original neosporin with no additives is safe but you want to apply a very thin layer so it absorbs and she isn't licking it off.

It doesn't look like it has a puncture so infection is less likely but still could happen. If she tolerates it clean it at least once a day and check for pus or spreading redness.
Hi, It doesn't seem to have any abscess or anything. I will use warm water to clean and see how it does. Thank you for your help!

eleventhestray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
SO glad you found your way to this site! It's a great place for getting information, opinions, suggestions, and encouragement from lots of people who are happy to lend an ear! And I'm glad she's got someone looking out for her, poor girl (which makes her a LUCKY poor girl!). She sounds like a love - - and it sounds like she knows she's safe with you. WOOHOO for you for taking the time to help this girl - - to the point of pushing through your allergies!!!! (I have a slight cat allergy - I can't touch my eyes after petting - OTC generic benadryl is super cheap and does help me with my allergies to an extent). I'm glad you're thinking ahead to getting her a home. Sounds like, with your help, she could very much end up in a caring forever home!

As always - - good advice already from Kieka Kieka and FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . I wouldn't want to sound like a vet (since I'm not ...although I often wish I were since we don't have unlimited funds either!)...and it's extra hard without seeing it in person to make a good guess. It looks like she's really been licking at it - - so it's probably either very itchy or at least uncomfortable for her in that spot. My first thought was ringworm (at shelters we see alot of it) ... but I wouldn't want to say that's definitely what it is (just in case - it's a good idea to very thoroughly wash your hands after touching her). But it could also be a flea allergy...or any number of issues. I'd definitely stay away from neopsorin with additives, as both members above noted, but you'd need to be a little cautious with even the original Neosporin since it's in an area where she can lick it off. If you go that way - - definitely put on just a VERY thin layer & gently rub it in (with gloves if possible - - which you can find cheaply at most pharmacies and grocery stores).

The best thing - if possible - is to have a vet look at her. But I truly do understand and empathize having a tough time affording a vet - - and the worry about getting her there, etc. Check online to see if you have any low-cost vet clinics in your area. If you can find one, they often charge based on income (and as a student - - I'm sure you don't have much of an income, if any!). Sometimes they'll also let you pay in installments. And ours even has cardboard carriers for sale that are SUPER cheap - but not sturdy enough if she truly panics in one. If you can get your hands on one, I'd test her in it before trying to make a vet trip. If you get to that point - I'd be happy to offer some suggestions as to how to try that.

Keep us posted!!!!!! Again - SO glad you found us and even more glad SHE found you!
Thank you so much for your help!! Yes, I've grown really attached to her. She is so sweet. I would definitely bring her inside if my roommate wasn't also allergic + my apartment complex charges RIDICULOUS amounts (a $500 deposit + $25 a month) to keep pets. I have been telling my friends about her and I definitely think I will have someone to take her.

I did find a vet that says the cost of the first visit is free other than diagnostic testing and medications. I'm hoping maybe I could try there? But YES, if you could give me more information on how to best transport her that would be awesome. I would hate for her to get worse or anything. I wonder if I could go to Petsmart and ask for one of the cardboard carriers they have. I honestly have 100% NO idea how she'd act in that environment. She's very unpredictable, which is what makes me nervous. I don't want to stress her out but I also want her to be healthy! Her name is Eleven, by the way:) I have attached more pictures! Thank you so much again for your help!

60264306965__5487F6E5-D6A1-44A9-B660-4E664B000339-1.jpeg IMG_3444.JPG IMG_2596.JPG