Injured stray cat

Bookgirl17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a stray cat in my neighborhood. The cat is very wary of humans but I have fondly nicknamed it "Oreo" . Just recently I noticed, from afar, that Oreo was limping. When I was able to get a little closer, still not able to be remotely near the cat, I noticed that Oreo was not using its back right leg. Oreo was walking with three legs instead of four and wouldn't put down its back leg at all. How do I go about getting Oreo the care needed?

• Purraise
Reactions: suh

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Check with shelters in your area and see if they have a cat trap you can borrow. Kitten Lady has lots of videos on how to trap them. Just google "Kitten Lady TNR" and you should be able to find some. Racoon traps are also available at Home Depot or Lowes. I paid $50 for one a few years ago, but I wouldn't be surprised if the price went up. I had a similar situation a few years a go but I waited too long and the poor thing had sepsis and had to be put down by the time we caught him. So, I would recommend doing this sooner rather than later. You may have some sort of Feral Cat Coalition in your area that may be willing to help or let you borrow a trap. I would also call around to places and ask if they could treat a feral cat. The VCA near us lets you take an injured stray if you agree to surrender them, which means you won't get any follow up information. The only reason I knew about the cat we brought in is because my neighbor worked for the VCA that we brought him to at the time. If the cats can be saved/helped, they usually then go to the humane society or the like. We also have a feral cat program here that takes in feral cats and relocates them to people who need cats on their large property. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bookgirl17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As far as how the cat got injured I am not sure, the cat is a complete stray that wanders around our neighborhood. I occasionally feed it but it never comes near. As far as how it is going, I have a humane animal trap that I am going to be setting up tomorrow. After I catch the cat I am going to be taking it to a vet to get it's leg checked out.