Injured paw or Infection?

Amber.Marler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys. My cat started limping a few days ago and so I got her bundled up to clean her paw amd thought I was doing fine. But she is still limping and the spot looks the same to me… I tried to get her into the vet but they are full for the next two weeks. Can anyone help give me and idea of what this could be? Please and thank you!!

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could be both. Definitely keep an eye on it and get her into the vet as soon as you can. A lot of vets will have a standby list of clients who want to be called if anything opens up. If your does, get on it. If yours doesn't, you can call every day asking if there are an cancels. Its not an "emergency" but a few weeks is a little long to wait. If your vet will accept it, send the photos too. Sometimes once your vet sees it they can either give advice or will squeeze you in depending on their review. Not all vets will, but some will.

For now, keep washing it and cleaning it the best you can. If your cat will tolerate it, I'd add a drop or two of hydrogen peroxide to the water next time you clean it and see if that takes off the surface crud. I can't tell if it is dirt or a scab but hydrogen peroxide in the water can help loosen it if it is biological matter covering it. And really, just a few drops; hydrogen peroxide is actually not great for wound care but it can help a little in select cases. It's just hard to see if you are dealing with something stuck in there, something stuck to it, or a cut. If you find out there is a thorn or something, call your vet before removing for advice. If you can't get it off, don't stress. You don't want to pick at it or pull it in case you unwillingly make it worse, hopefully the cleaning loosens it enough to come off itself. Don't apply any medicated creams, like neosporin, because your cat will lick it off and could complicate things. Just try to keep it clean until the vet can see it (or it heals on its own). If it is hot to the touch or seems to be swelling or redd spreading to the rest of the paw, call your vet or seek out an emergency vet.

All that said, I could be a scratch or cut. It could be something stuck to the paw. Its really hard to tell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amber.Marler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could be both. Definitely keep an eye on it and get her into the vet as soon as you can. A lot of vets will have a standby list of clients who want to be called if anything opens up. If your does, get on it. If yours doesn't, you can call every day asking if there are an cancels. Its not an "emergency" but a few weeks is a little long to wait. If your vet will accept it, send the photos too. Sometimes once your vet sees it they can either give advice or will squeeze you in depending on their review. Not all vets will, but some will.

For now, keep washing it and cleaning it the best you can. If your cat will tolerate it, I'd add a drop or two of hydrogen peroxide to the water next time you clean it and see if that takes off the surface crud. I can't tell if it is dirt or a scab but hydrogen peroxide in the water can help loosen it if it is biological matter covering it. And really, just a few drops; hydrogen peroxide is actually not great for wound care but it can help a little in select cases. It's just hard to see if you are dealing with something stuck in there, something stuck to it, or a cut. If you find out there is a thorn or something, call your vet before removing for advice. If you can't get it off, don't stress. You don't want to pick at it or pull it in case you unwillingly make it worse, hopefully the cleaning loosens it enough to come off itself. Don't apply any medicated creams, like neosporin, because your cat will lick it off and could complicate things. Just try to keep it clean until the vet can see it (or it heals on its own). If it is hot to the touch or seems to be swelling or redd spreading to the rest of the paw, call your vet or seek out an emergency vet.

All that said, I could be a scratch or cut. It could be something stuck to the paw. Its really hard to tell.
Okay great. Thank you very much. I am calling the vet as soon as they open today to see about openings. There is another option I’ve used for situations similar to this so I can always contact them if I am unable to get in to my normal vet. I just prefer my normal vet. Lol. But yes, I was worried about the few days it’s been already, especially since she is still favoring it some. Poor baby. Thank you again!!